What Options Do You Have for Transporting Students?
Transportation services are the preferred method for transporting students because their vehicles are relatively safe and their drivers are trained and licensed professionals. Using transportation firms also shifts much of the liability from Clark to the transportation company.
- Van Service: 14-passenger van service is available from Worcester Airport Limo for $52 per hour, including the driver.
- Mini-Bus Service: Mini-buses can be rented at a cost of about $75-$80 per hour (varies depending on timeframe/destination) including the driver. This is the preferred method of transporting small groups of students (up to around 25).
- School Bus Service: School buses can be rented at a similar cost to mini-buses (roughly $80-$100 per hour depending on destination), including the driver. This is the preferred method of transporting larger groups of students (over 20).
AA Transportation also has mini-coaches as well as full size buses available. They provide price discounts to Clark University. To contact AA Transportation, call 1-508-791-9100
Knight’s Airport Limousine Service 1-800-822-5456 also has vans and mini-buses available, though Worcester Airport Limo generally has cheaper rates available to Clark.
Alternatives to Hiring Transportation
For situations where hiring transportation is not feasible, there are limited options for using Clark vehicles or renting. Clark no longer owns any 12 or 15 passenger vans so alternate arrangements need to be made for vans of that capacity. In all cases, drivers must have their license checked(see below). Using staff/faculty/students to drive carries increased risk and potentially greater liability for the University.
- Car/Van Rentals: Cars/Vans can be rented from local rental agencies (primarily Enterprise and Budget). Due to operating hours, vehicles may need to be rented for the full weekend for trips taking place on either Saturday or Sunday. Availability of larger vehicles may be limited. Drivers are also required to be 21 years old as well as meeting Clark’s requirements of least two years of clean driving. Enterprise generally provides the cheapest rates to Clark but they do not rent 12 passenger vans. Budget and Thrifty both rent 12 passenger vans, subject to availability – please book well in advance. Drivers of any size van need to meet Clark’s driver certification requirements (see below). Clark does not allow its staff or students to drive 15 passenger vans.
- Athletics Vans: These are currently being leased on a month to month basis for exclusive use of the Athletics Department.
- Personal Vehicles: Use of a personal vehicle on Clark business is reimbursed at a rate of 55.5 cents/mile. The driver’s own insurance is the primary insurance when driving a personal vehicle. Clark’s insurance would also be available over and above the car owner’s limits.
Enterprise is recommended for all vehicle rentals except 12-passenger vans. Budget and Thrifty are recommended for 12-passenger vans only. Please see the automobile rental page for more details.
- Enterprise 1-508-752-4100. Ask for the Clark University rate.
- Budget, Lincoln Street (508) 852-0361. Request the Clark University/Colleges of Worcester Consortium rate.
- Thrifty, Worcester Airport (508) 792-0537. Request the Clark University/Colleges of Worcester Consortium rate.
All persons (staff/faculty/students) transporting students must have their driver’s license checked on an annual basis. To request a driver’s license check, please complete a driver license check request form.
The form should be faxed to the OneCard Office per the instructions. Once the Business Manager has been notified of the results, he will contact the department submitting the request. License approvals can take 2-3 business days to complete.
Drivers for 7- to 12-passenger vans must also undergo additional training. Drivers of vans of any size must complete an online training course. To enroll in the course, please email the Business Manager and include the name and email address of the driver taking the course. Drivers of 12-passenger vans must also complete a road test which can also be arranged by contacting the Business Manager or by checking the box on the driver check form. Please be sure to plan on adequate time for training and testing when planning your trip.
Through the Colleges of Worcester Consortium Joint Purchasing Group, the University has access to discounted rates from Worcester Airport Limousine and Affordable Limo. Affordable only offers sedan/town car (seats up to 3 passengers plus luggage) service and is cheaper than Worcester Airport Limousine for a comparable vehicle. Rates for both companies are also available to employees for their personal use. For rate information, please email the Business Manager.
Both Worcester Airport Limousine and Affordable Limo offer local sedan/town car services.
For rate information, please email the Business Manager.