Skip to content

For updates about COVID-19 at Clark, please visit the Healthy Clark Dashboard.

Clark’s undergraduate student employment program provides opportunities for you to gain professional experience by working in a variety of departments on campus and in the local community. In these workplace settings, you can make use of your talents while you acquire new skills that will help you prepare for life after Clark.

Remote Work Policy

If undergraduate and graduate students are authorized to do so by their supervisor, they can work remotely for the 2020-2021 academic year as long as they are performing work within the United States (regardless of citizenship). Work outside the U.S. continues to be prohibited; however, we will allow remote work anywhere within the U.S. due to continued travel restrictions and other concerns related to Covid-19. Since this situation is considered temporary, employees working remotely outside of Massachusetts due to Covid-19 will still be treated as working in-state for tax purposes. This policy will be in effect through June 21, 2021 unless there is a change in conditions or regulations that requires us to revisit this policy earlier.   

Safety Training

If you are working in an office on campus,  you are required to watch in full the Return to Work training

COVID-19 Pay Policy

Students (undergraduate and graduate) are not compensated for benefits such as sick leave, vacation, or holiday pay. However, if a student tests positive for COVID-19, or is quarantined, they can be paid for whatever hours they would have worked while in isolation or quarantine.

The student should enter their hours in the “COVID-19 Related Absence” field on their timesheet, and keep in communication with their supervisor as much as they are able with regard to when they cannot work, and when they are able to return to work, so that their supervisor can approve their timesheets accordingly.

During a period of quarantine, they will be expected to work remotely if their job responsibilities permit it and they are able to do so. If their job responsibilities do not permit remote work, students will be paid for the period of quarantine, and they should use the COVID-19 code on their timesheet.

In the event the campus closes, we will communicate a pay policy at that time.

December through February: Log into Handshake!

All on-campus employment positions are posted on Handshake, Clark’s job, internship, and volunteer opportunity portal. If you have not already done so, log onto Handshake using your Clark email address and password, and complete your profile. You will not be able to view or apply for on-campus employment without a Handshake account. “Follow” Clark University as an employer to receive job notifications, and check back often, as more jobs are added daily.

December through January: Begin working on your resume and cover letters

Resumes are required to apply for on-campus employment, and many on-campus positions also require a cover letter. Click here for our valuable resources for resume and cover letters!

Start working on your resume and cover letter(s) early to ensure you have enough time to complete your application materials. The Career Lab team from the Career Connections Center will review all documents posted by undergraduate students within 1-3 days of submission. Handshake will notify you via your Clark email address once you receive suggested edits.

Graduate students should check with their graduate school regarding options to have their documents reviewed.

January through February: Search for and apply to on-campus employment openings

Since new positions are posted daily, you will want to check back often to find the on-campus job that best fits your interests.

To find on-campus jobs, go to the Jobs tab in Handshake. Then click the Filters button and choose On-campus.

Submit your applications early! On-campus employment is very competitive, so don’t wait to apply. Many jobs are filled by the first week of classes.

If you are a final candidate for a position, a hiring manager will contact you to schedule an interview. Please be patient and wait for the hiring manager to contact you.

In the meantime:

  • Keep applying to positions that interest you
  • Consider searching for local off-campus jobs in Handshake if you are not an international student (click here for employment information for international students)
  • If you would like additional guidance for your on-campus job search, make an appointment on Handshake by going to:
    • Career Center
    • Appointments
    • Schedule a New Appointment
    • Career Connections Center
    • On-Campus Job Search

You need to bring original forms of government identification to campus in order to be onboarded to payroll. Review the Acceptable Identification for the I-9 Form section of the Student Employment Handbook here carefully to know what forms of identification you must bring to campus so that you can start working. The Student Employment Handbook outlines everything you need to know.

  • If you are an undergraduate student, please visit here for information about the onboarding process.
  • If you are a graduate student, please visit here for information about the onboarding process.

How to Apply for a Social Security Number 


Students can begin working only if they either have, or have applied for, a Social Security Number (SSN). If a student can supply a document confirming that they have applied for a SSN, they can begin workAcceptable forms of confirmation are: either a fax confirmation that the student sent materials to the Social Security Administration (SSA) or a letter from the SSA that they have received application materials. 

Students cannot be paid until they have supplied their SSN to either the Office of Financial Assistance (undergraduate students) or the Payroll Office (graduate students). 

  • Undergraduate international students should click here for instructions on uploading documents. Do not email your SSN, which is sensitive information.
  • Graduate students should upload the confirmation document here. Do not email your SSN, which is sensitive information.

After you are hired for a job, you can apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not yet have a job, you cannot apply for a SSN.

In order to apply for a SSN, you will need:

  • an offer of employment—you need to be hired for a job first. When you are hired, explain to your hiring manager that you need an offer of employment.
  • letter of support from the ISSO. To request the letter from the ISSO, please submit a Letter Request on the ISSO Portal.
  • application form SS-5 which can be found here.
  • passport
  • I20

Students should send a fax to the Social Security Administration Office that includes the SS-5 form along with copies of their passport, I20, employment letter, and the letter of support from the ISSO Portal. Do not submit these documents to any offices at Clark University.

Once the Social Security Administration Office receives and reviews the application, the student will receive a telephone call to schedule an appointment at the SSA. The student will need to bring to the appointment their original documents for review. It may take up to 2 weeks to receive the phone call to schedule the appointment. It will then take 7-10 days to get the Social Security card. As of August 2020, the SSA is scheduling appointments, and not accepting walk-in appointments. The office locator is here.

Worcester SSA telephone: 866-331-9069 

Worcester SSA fax: 833-902-2512 

When you obtain an on-campus position, you must read the Student Employment Handbook.

Visit our How-to Guides section on our website for helpful resume and cover letter guides.

Log onto Handshake and review the Resources section to find additional documents and helpful job-search platforms such as Vault.

Email for job search or technical support. If you would like to make an appointment with a career adviser to discuss job strategies specific to on-campus employment, go to Handshake to make an appointment. Choose Career Center/Appointments/Career Connections Center/On-Campus Job Search.


Instructions for submitting timesheets are here. If you need to submit a late timesheet, fill it out electronically, and let your supervisor know when it is ready for approval. Once reviewed, your supervisor will electronically approve your timesheet. Your supervisor will also need to email the Payroll Office to let them know that there is a late timesheet that needs to be processed. Depending on the timing of the timesheet submission, you may not be paid until the next payroll cycle.

If you cannot access your timesheet, it is likely that you are not onboarded yet. Contact your supervisor to discuss what is needed.

Best Practices for Applying for Jobs 

  • Write a cover letter even if it’s not required. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your interest in the position!
  • Once you begin applying to jobs, check your email regularly. If a hiring manager contacts you, responding promptly will make a great first impression!  

Most on-campus jobs will not be specifically tagged as work study, so you should apply to any on-campus job that you’re interested in, and if you’re hired, that will be considered a work study job. Our Community Engagement Office posts work-study jobs that are local to the community; those will be specifically tagged as work study. 

Students are not guaranteed a job when they are awarded work study, and on-campus jobs are very competitive, so it’s very important that you have your resume reviewed before you apply to any jobs. You can do this by uploading it to Handshake. In addition, it is a good idea for you to mention that you have federal work study in your cover letter so that the hiring manager is aware. 

Posting Positions

All on-campus student employment positions are listed on Handshake. If you need an employer account created, please email and specify which departmental account you would like to be associated with.

When you post a position, please follow these guidelines to expedite approval of your post:

  • Ensure you include the number of positions in the job title, for example, “Assistant (1 opening).”
  • Job Type: On-Campus Student Employment.
  • Employment Type: Part time. 
  • Duration: Temporary (not Permanent).
  • Specify start/end dates for the position.
  • Ensure the hourly rate is specified. Note that minimum wage is currently $13.50, and will increase to $14.25 on 1/1/22.
  • In the job description, include the number of hours and whether the job is remote or virtual (or a possibility of both).
  • If you’re willing to train, include that in the job description!

Guide to Posting Jobs

Guide to Reviewing Applications

Hiring Documentation

The hiring department should submit a hire form to the appropriate office as noted below. Students cannot begin working until they are fully onboarded onto payroll. 

Student Employment End Dates

For this academic year, students (undergraduate and graduate) should not work past Sunday, June 20, 2021, which is the day of commencement. In past years, we have had different end dates for on-campus employment depending whether students were graduating, among other factors. In order to streamline the process, we are now designating June 20, 2021 as the last day of on-campus employment for the academic year 

Please note that the spring semester now spans two fiscal years, FY21 and FY22. FY22 begins on June 1, 2021. Student wages incurred after May 31, 2021, will be considered part of the FY22 budget.  A budgeting template for AY 21-22 that includes the updated minimum wages for fall and spring semesters is available. Contact Julie Bolduc if you would like a copy. 

Undergraduate Hire Forms

The hire form for undergraduate students is on SmartBuy Plus. Please note the following:

  • Instructions for submitting the student employment request form are here. Please review them in detail! Note that the hard copy form is no longer used as of Spring 2020.
  • The status of the hire form will be updated as a comment within SmartBuy Plus. Please do not email asking for the status of the hire form; look in SmartBuy Plus, and refer to the SmartBuy Plus Instructions linked above.
  • It is also helpful to ask the student if they have submitted the necessary documents if they have not yet worked on campus before contacting the Office of Financial Assistance.

The Office of Financial Assistance handles onboarding for undergraduate students. Contact information:

Graduate Student Hire Forms

The hire form for graduate students is here, and the form should be submitted to the Payroll Office on the 4th floor of the Shaich Family Alumni and Student Engagement Center. Contact information:

Additional Resources

AY 20-21 Supervisor Guide for Student Employment. Please note: If a student needs to submit a late timesheet, they should fill it out electronically, and let their supervisor know it’s ready to review. Once reviewed, the supervisor should electronically approve your timesheet and email the Payroll Office to let them know that there is a late timesheet that needs to be processed. Depending on the timing of the timesheet submission, the student may not be paid until the next payroll cycle.

Web Time Entry (WTE) Instructions for Approvers

Web Time Entry (WTE) for Student Employees

Employment Requirements for International Students


Contact Information

Career Connections Center

Office Location
  • Shaich Family Alumni and Student Engagement Center (ASEC Building)
    939 Main Street
    Worcester, MA 01610
  • 1-508-793-7258
  • 1-508-421-3752 Fax
Career Lab Hours
  • The Career Lab offers on-demand reviews of resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles 12 – 4 pm weekdays. Upload your documents, or make an appointment for the Career Lab on Handshake!