Rethink, Recycle and Reuse. Re-think how you buy stuff. Can you choose less packaging? Bring your own bag? Refill a container? Reduce what you use, reuse what you can. And recycle because:
- Recycling preserves natural resources and supplies valuable raw materials to industry.
- Recycling prevents emissions of many greenhouse gases and water pollutants, and saves energy.
- Recycling reduces our reliance on landfills and incinerators as primary methods of disposal, resulting in a longer life expectancy for our current landfills and reducing the need to open new landfills.
- Recycling saves money that would be spent on disposal costs by reducing the amount of trash we need to throw out every day.
- Recycling helps the economy, supporting more than 19,000 jobs in Massachusetts alone.
Recycling is more than putting things in the right bin. It is tied to the market. In order for recycling to have an impact on reducing the waste of scarce resources, recyclable materials must be included in manufacturing. Consumers – that’s you – have to purchase goods with recycled content.