The Summer 2020 Academic Internship Program application is now closed.
The Fall 2020 application will be available starting August 14, 2020.
What Is an Academic Internship at Clark?
An academic internship is a credit-bearing, career-related work experience of limited duration in which an individual takes on responsible roles outside of the traditional university environment. Academic internships may take place in a nonprofit organization, government office, or for-profit business. Depending on the employer, some internships are paid. Internships include mentoring and supervision by a professional in the field; this valuable form of training allows students to explore their career interests.
Rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors may earn academic credit for internships during the fall, spring, or summer terms.
Overview of the application process:
- Secure your internship.
- Find a full-time faculty member to act as your faculty sponsor for your academic internship. You and your faculty sponsor will plan the academic portion of your academic internship.
- Apply to the Academic Internship Program through the button below. Allow one week for processing your application (international students: allow 10 days).
- Once you are approved, you will receive instructions for how to register your academic internship with the Office of the Registrar.
Additional Steps for international students needing CPT:
- Once you receive approval from the Career Connections Center for your academic internship, apply through the ISSO Portal to receive CPT from ISSO. Please note: do this as soon as you receive your academic internship approval, to allow enough time to process your application.
- Wait to receive your I-20 before starting your internship. The ISSO cannot backdate CPT applications. You are not legally allowed to work in the United States until you’ve received your I-20 with CPT work authorization.
Deadlines: Please note that the Academic Internship Program follows the add/drop deadline from the Registrar’s Office. We strongly encourage undergraduate students to submit their Academic Internship Program applications one week or more prior to the add/drop deadline. Applications submitted after the Registrar’s Office add/drop deadline are subject to a late fee. Go to Clark’s academic calendar.
Graduate students: Graduate students, including graduating seniors in the summer of the ADP program, do not use this application process; instead, they work with their academic departments to obtain credit.
International Students: The Academic Internship Program is available to undergraduate Clark students in good academic standing regardless of citizenship or immigration status. If you need CPT, please see the instructions above. For further questions about CPT, please contact ISSO.
The Summer 2020 Academic Internship Program application is now closed. The Fall 2020 application will be available starting in mid-August.