Requirements to Study Abroad
All students MUST submit an Intent to Study Abroad once they have finalized their program choice (at least one semester in advance of application).
Clark University requires that prior to your applying for your program, you must:
- be a full-time student at Clark for at least one year
- be in good academic, financial and social standing
- have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (students who do not meet this requirement should come talk to the Study Abroad office)
- have declared a major, and have an advisor in that major
- have a passport which is valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended date of return, or be in the process of applying for one (for international programs only)
- have declared your “Intent to Study Abroad/Away” form to our office no later than a semester prior to your application (why do I have to do this?)
- Meet the requirements of your program
Residency requirement and study abroad
- Students in their final two, full-time semesters at Clark may study abroad on a Clark-approved program ONLY.
- Clark does not generally recommend studying abroad during the second semester of senior year as grades may not come in time for students to walk at commencement.
- You must maintain a full course load while studying abroad during the academic year, which is 3-4.5 Clark units or 12-18 US credits.
- If a course is a duplication of a course already taken, no credit can be granted for the course.
- If a student has taken an advanced language course at Clark, they cannot get credit for a lower level abroad.
Non-Clark & Summer programs:
- All courses will be taken Pass/Fail and will count as transfer credit
- Credit will be granted only if grades of a C or better is achieved
- Must get prior approval from the Director of Study Abroad at least one semester prior to application
- Clark-awarded financial aid and scholarships will not travel; state and federal aid will likely travel; in summer NO aid will travel
Semester & Academic Year:
- Students must take a leave of absence in the academic year; this will count against 100% tuition for 5th year programs
- Non-Clark programs in the semester must be in locations where Clark does not already have an approved program