Skip to content

How to move about the world smoothly

Going abroad means you’ll need a passport and possibly a visa. Applying for each can be a lengthy process. Read up on the necessary information below and on the following pages.


The Basics: If you’re studying abroad, you’ll need a passport that’s valid for six months beyond your intended date of return.
The Advanced: If you have dual-citizenship, think about which passport with which you want to travel.


Most programs, though not all, require a visa – which is like an entry ticket – to enter the country.
Visas vary in format:

  • Some are issued at the point of entry
  • Some are issued electronically
  • Some require you to send your passport to a U.S.-based consulate to have a physical stamp placed in your passport

The host program generally sends instructions about obtaining a visa after you’re admitted to the program.

It is your responsibility to contact the consulate or embassy of your intended host country and submit the application for the required visa. Although the Study Abroad Office is willing to help, note that the office does not have influence on foreign consulates/embassies and their requirements or time tables for obtaining a visa.

Note you may need additional visas if you choose to travel outside your host country. Before traveling, check and understand the rules and regulations of each country you intend to visit as well as how you’ll re-enter your host country.

Residency permits

A few countries require residency permits. The host program will advise you on this process and help with obtaining a permit once you arrive on campus.

Contact Information

Study Abroad and Away Programs

See Us
  • Corner House
    142 Woodland Street
    Worcester, MA 01610

  • 1-508-793-7363