Skip to content
Rosie Wine standing against wall with word

Study abroad programs are not one-size-fits-all.  There is a program for every type of learner. You may choose your program based on major, but also type of program, location or language. Fall or spring? Semester or summer? Homestay or dorm? You may also want to ask yourself: how far out of my comfort zone am I willing to go?  While there are many considerations,  explained below are a few places to begin thinking about your search.

In addition to academics or location, and it is important that you are considering factors such as the environment where you thrive, the type of housing you might want, how much support you need or independence you want.

Semester and Academic Year Programs

Choosing a Semester Program

  • Study Centers/Provider programs are programs administered by a US-based third-party study abroad Provider or foreign institution designed specifically for American study abroad students.
    • Most accommodations available
    • Most offer scholarships specific for their program – need, merit, and diversity-based
    • Programs usually in English and/or host language
  • Direct Enroll programs are administered on-site directly by a host University, designed to integrate Clark students into the institution and culture.
    • Usually the least amount of student and financial support; some available
    • Generally the widest variety of courses to choose from in every field (including STEM)
    • May not have all accommodations that students are used to at Clark
    • Courses usually exclusively in host language
  • Hybrid Programs: “The Best of Both Worlds” Most study centers also have a relationship with a host university or several host institutions, where students may be able to directly enroll in university courses, language courses or take “courses for foreigners” while enjoying the additional level of support specifically for US study abroad students.

For available programs and to start an application, please visit Clark’s  STUDY ABROAD AND AWAY APPLICATION PORTAL.

Summer Programs

Choosing a Summer Program

Clark University allows students to apply for up to two units of transfer credit per program, per summer.

Students must apply for pre-approval of transfer credit through the online application system by the stated deadlines.

  • There is no “approved” list for summer. Students may choose a program and will apply for the pre-approval of transfer credits.
  • Students may transfer up to 2 units of credit, per program, per summer. All credit will be recorded as transfer credit and does not factor into your GPA.
  • Most, if not all, scholarships and grants that you receive during the academic year can NOT be applied in the summer. Students pay the program directly for all program costs.
  • Students are encouraged to apply for external scholarships or funding in advance of their program.
  • No retroactive credit will be given.

Sample Approved Program List

Clark maintains a profile of approximately 50 approved programs around the world. Please note that due to covid-19, the availability of any given program may vary per semester and all students should consult with the office before applying to any specific program.   These are a sample of the kinds of programs that Clark will have approved. For a full and current list, students should create a Terra Dotta account.


  • Buenos Aires Advanced Spanish Immersion


  • AIFS Perth Full Curriculum at the University of Murdoch
  • University of Tasmania Direct Enroll


  • SFS Conservation, Ethics, and Environmental Change

​Greater China and Taiwan

  • CET Beijing Intensive Language
  • CET Shanghai Chinese Studies and Internship
  • CET Taiwan Intensive Language and Internship


  • CET Colombia

Costa Rica

  • AIFS San Jose at Veritas University
  • ​CGEE Central America: Exploring Peace, Justice and Community Engagement (Multiple countries)
  • SFS Costa Rica: Sustainable Development Studies

​Czech Republic

  • CET Prague Study and Internship


  • Pachaysana: Rehearsing Change Decolonized Study Abroad


  • API Grenoble: Language & Culture
  • API Grenoble: Intensive French Language
  • CIEE Rennes Liberal Arts Program at University of Rennes II


  • AIFS Humboldt or Freie University
  • University of Trier


  • Burren College of Art
  • Dublin Internship Program


  • Arava Institute for Environmental Studies
  • University of Haifa International School


  • Umbra Institute  (Multicultural Psychology; Food and Sustainability Studies, Italian or General Studies)


  • Kansai Gaidai University


  •  Amman: Middle East Studies

Mongolia  & Siberia

  • SIT Nomadism, Geopolitics, and the Environment


  • SIT Morocco: Multiculturalism and Human Rights
  • SIT Morocco: Migration and Transnational Identity


  • CGEE Southern Africa: National-Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind


  • Maastricht University Center for European Studies

​New Zealand

  • AIFS Wellington  at the University of Victoria


  • SIT Rwanda: Peacebuilding & Post Genocide Reconstruction

​South Africa

  • AIFS Stellenbosch: General Studies
  • AIFS Stellenbosch: Service Learning Certificate Program

​South Korea

  • CIEE Seoul: Arts & Sciences


  • IES Madrid Language & Area Studies
  • CIEE Seville: Multiple Tracks

United Kingdom 

  • Advanced Studies in England (ASE)
  • Londo Internship Program
  • London School of Economics (LSE) General Course
  • SOAS University of London
  • University of Sussex
  • University of East Anglia
  • University of Stirling
Contact Information

Study Abroad and Away Programs

See Us
  • Corner House
    142 Woodland Street
    Worcester, MA 01610

  • 1-508-793-7363