Most students study abroad or away their junior year, although it’s possible as early as second semester in your sophomore year or as late as your senior year. You could also choose a semester, year-long or summer program. Whatever you choose, it takes careful planning and it’s never too early to start. The Office of Study Abroad & Away provides holistic advising through all stages of the process, from application through returning home. We also encourage students to speak with parents, faculty, LEEP Center advisors and program ambassadors throughout the process.
Step 1: Attend Study Abroad 101
- All students who plan to study abroad are required to attend a Study Abroad 101 Information Session, which are held monthly throughout the semesters. Students should also stop by the fall Study Abroad Fair, held in October.
Step 2: Research!
- After you’ve learned the basics, it’s time to do some research! Utilize our website, our network of Global Ambassadors and attend events and info sessions offered by the office to learn more. Students are encouraged to come to drop-in advising, Mon-Fri, from 12-2pm and are welcome to browse materials on offer in the office any time!
Step 3: Declare your intent
- Students should declare their intent to study abroad with the Study Abroad and Away office at least one semester in advance of applying by submitting an Intent Form.
Step 4: Solidify your plans
- After you have narrowed down your program choice, you should be researching courses and obtaining approval from your faculty advisor for any major or minor requirements you wish to fulfill abroad. You will also need to narrow down a choice for a faculty reference, so be sure you are thinking about a faculty member with whom you’ve taken a class that you might be able to ask.
Step 5: Apply!
- Students can either e-mail our office for an application at any time, and updated applications will also be posted here at the beginning of each semester.
- Students should be applying both to their program of choice and to Clark, both by the Clark deadlines. ( Sept. 15th for Fall; March 1 for Fall and Full Year programs).
- Applications are due the semester prior to the desired period away and no late applications are accepted. For example, if you plan to study abroad in the Spring, your application will be due to preceding Fall.
|September 15||Spring applications due|
|March 1||Fall and full-year applications due|
|March 15||Summer program applications due|