Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions for Federal Work Study

For questions not answered here, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at 1-508-793-7478 or

Federal Work Study is designed to assist students in meeting educational expenses and supplement classroom activities with work experience. The Office of Financial Assistance awards, based on financial need, as many participants as allowed by limited funding.

All student employment positions are posted in Handshake, Clark’s online job posting board.

Yes. All Clark undergraduate students are eligible to apply for jobs. Students seeking community service positions are paid out of the Federal Work Study budget, therefore, you will need to be awarded Federal Work Study. Check with our office if you are interested in a community service job and do not have a Federal Work Study award.

Federal Work Study earnings are subject to all federal and state taxes. In addition to federal and state taxes, any wages earned from work performed when classes are not in session (including summer) are subject to the Social Security tax deduction.

Students cannot use their Federal Work Study funds while studying abroad. If you were awarded Federal Work Study and are spending a semester abroad, your Federal Work Study award for that period of time, is not applicable.

Contact Information

Office of Financial Assistance

Mailing Address
  • Clark University
    Office of Financial Assistance
    950 Main Street
    Worcester, MA 01610

  • 1-508-793-7478
  • 1-508-793-8802 (Fax)
  • finaid[at]clarku[dot]edu
Office Hours
  • Monday – Friday

    8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.