To communicate the related policies for members of the University who are funded by grants, and to provide guidelines for grant related expenditure.
- In the process of applying for the grant, the Principal Investigator (PI) or potential grantee must contact Lisa Gaudette in the Research Office.
- In the post award stage, the grantee's budget is set up by Michelle Bates in the Office of Business and Financial Services.
- General Instructions
- If the Principal Investigator has established a more detailed budget than that supplied to the award agency, the grantee may contact Michelle Bates for clarification and further information.
- In the case of a multi-year grant, budgets are only input on a yearly basis. Michele Bates is available for assistance with reading its specifications.
- Once a grant has been awarded, the PI may conduct related accounting processes. These processes include purchases, reimbursements, cash advances, budget reports, and related questions. Budget reports can be viewed via CUWeb.
- Confirm reporting dates with the Office of Business and Financial Services in order to have interim and/or final financial reports sent to the reporting agency in a timely manner.
- If a grant is run out of the Marsh Institute, the grantee must contact the Marsh Institute for approval of grant-related expenses.
- Grant related travel expenses
- For grant-related travel, the grantee may request a cash advance (XLS file) prior to the trip.
- For reimbursements incurred during a grant-related trip, a travel expense report may be filed and submitted via SmartBuy Plus. Instructions on filling out a travel expense report are available in the Travel Guidelines section of the manual.
- Other grant related expenses
- Grant funds are also used, where applicable, for related purchases of supplies and equipment. In order to make these purchases, the grantee must submit a purchase order via SmartBuy Plus.
- Grant funds may also be used as payroll for the grantee and/or people hired to work on the funded project. All employees to be paid by a grant must fill out a Grant Payroll Authorization form (PDF) and submit it to Grant Accounting for processing.