The annual performance review process sets the foundation aligning the individual’s efforts with the university’s goals for the coming year and is reliant on the level of engagement of both the supervisor and employee.
- By linking individual employee work efforts with the institution’s mission and objectives, the employee understands how their job contributes to the overall success of department and the University.
- By focusing attention on setting clear performance expectations it helps the employee know what needs to be done to be successful on the job.
- Through regular check-in discussions, which include status updates, coaching, and feedback, it promotes flexibility, allowing the supervisor and the employee to identify problems early and change the course of a project or work assignment.
This process is an opportunity for employees to partner with their supervisors to establish goals and manage performance through frequent and ongoing review and feedback. The communication process includes clarifying expectations, setting objectives, identifying goals, providing feedback, and reviewing results.
When done well, the performance review process results in both parties having a(n):
- shared set of expectations for the year
- clear understanding of performance and progress toward goals throughout the year
- opportunity to strengthen their working relationship through regular discussions
- ability to directly impact the success of the department and Institution
- commitment to focus on the personal and career development of the employee
At Clark all employees are expected to exhibit the core values of the institution that are imbedded in the University’s mission and Administrative and Staff Compact.
Employees are strongly encouraged to prepare and submit a self-assessment for the prior year in advance of their formal performance review meeting with their supervisor. The intent of the self-assessment form is for employees to provide their supervisor with a reflective assessment of their performance over the past year that highlights accomplishments and strengths; recognizes areas of growth and acknowledges challenges; and, if applicable, identifies goals for the next year. This will allow supervisors to be better prepared for the in-person meetings and better able to integrate an employee’s achievements, challenges, and goals into the final performance review.
Additionally, beginning this year, employees with a regular hybrid or remote modality are required to review the Remote Work and Telecommuting Policy and, submit to their supervisor for approval, the Alternative Work Arrangement Agreement Remote, Telecommuting and/or Flextime Request form.
The role of the supervisor is to set expectations, gather data, and provide ongoing feedback to their employees to assist them in utilizing their skills, expertise and ideas in a way that produces results.
Supervisors are required to meet with and prepare a written performance review for all regular full- and part-time employees hired before January 1, 2023.
Supervisors should refer to the Top Tips for Conducting Successful Performance Evaluations, the Administrative and Staff Compact, and LinkedIn Learning prior to completing performance reviews for employees.
LinkedIn Learning is an on-demand video platform that provides resources to members of the campus community with free access to video tutorials on a variety of custom learning content. Employees can access LinkedIn Learning through the ClarkYOU portal. Please log into your LinkedIn account to access the links below.
Supervisors and employees are encouraged to utilize LinkedIn Learning as a resource to:
- Conduct a successful performance review
- Write a self-assessment
- Define goals and objectives
- Give and receive feedback
- Access professional development training modules
Process and Timeline
Self-Evaluation, Performance Review, and Alternative Work Arrangement Agreement forms are located on the Human Resource Materials Portal
Once you have downloaded the forms please review the instruction videos below for opening and completing the forms.
Windows users: To open and complete the:
- Self-Assessment form please use Foxit PDF Reader. Click here for instructions
- Performance Review form please use Foxit PDF Reader. Click here for instructions
- Alternative Work Arrangement Agreement form please use Foxit PDF Reader. Click here for instructions
Mac Users: To open and complete the:
- Self-Assessment form please use Preview: Click here for instructions
- Performance Review form please use Preview: Click here for instructions
- Alternative Work Arrangement Agreement form please use Preview. Click here for instructions
Please review the Remote Work and Telecommuting Policy before completing the Alternative Work Arrangement Agreement form.
A dedicated Performancereview@clarku.edu email has been created where supervisors will submit the completed forms to Human Resources, preferably for every employee in their unit at the same time.
All self-assessments and performance reviews must be submitted no later than Friday, July 28, 2023.
|Monday||May 15||Launch of annual employee performance review process|
|Tuesday-Friday||May 30 – June 2||Supervisors schedule employee performance review meetings to begin the week of May 29th|
|Friday||June 9||Deadline for employees to submit completed Self-Assessment and Goal Setting Form to supervisors|
|Wednesday||June 14||Employee performance review meetings begin|
|Tuesday-Friday||June 20 – June 23||Employee performance review meetings continue|
|Monday-Friday||June 26 – June 30||Employee performance review meetings continue|
|Monday-Friday||July 3, 5, 6, 7||Employee performance review meetings continue|
|Monday-Friday||July 10 – July 14||Employee performance review meetings continue|
|Monday-Friday||July 17 – July 21||Employee performance review meetings end|
|Monday-Friday||July 24 – July 28||Supervisors complete outstanding employee performance review meetings|
|Friday||July 28||Completed employee Self Assessment & Goal Setting and Performance Review Forms due in Human Resources|
For any questions regarding the process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-793-7294.
Office of Human Resources
950 Main Street
Worcester MA 01610
- 1-508-793-7294 Human Resources
- 1-508-793-7438 Payroll
- 1-508-793-8809 Fax