The School of Management (SOM) at Clark University launched in 1982 in response to the demand for high-quality scholarship in business and management. Over the last quarter century, SOM has experienced outstanding growth, and continues to embody its mission to develop a diverse community of learners, researchers, and business professionals that prepares future leaders to think critically, manage collaboratively, and contribute to their organizations and society.
We offer management, accounting, analytics, marketing, and finance programs that meet the needs of various constituencies — working professionals, accelerated degree students, full-time students, and dual-degree students. We also offer an undergraduate management major along with minors in management, marketing, and innovation and entrepreneurship.
Recent rankings have named SOM a Net Impact “Top 50 School for Environmental Sustainability,” placing it among the world’s best business schools at which to study and research sustainability and related issues. In addition, the Aspen Institute’s 2012 Beyond Grey Pinstripes ranking placed the Clark MBA in the top 100 business programs worldwide preparing students for the environmental, social, and ethical complexities of modern-day business.
The mission and vision of SOM, which are consistent with those of the university, are intended to guide future planning and major decisions of the school.
Mission: Our mission is to engage in consequential research and practice and to prepare students for career and life success through a combination of rigorous academic study and theoretically sound experiential learning with a focus on ethics, social responsibility, and sustainability.
Vision: SOM will be well known and highly regarded as a diverse community of caring individuals whose professional and scholarly contributions advance practice and knowledge for the benefit of organizations and society.
Our core values are consistent with who we are and with our mission:
We value diversity of culture, opinions, and approaches
We value both deep understanding and broad perspective
We value initiative, creativity, and collaboration
We value service to the local, national, and global communities of which we are a part
SOM is a small learning community with major indicators of excellence, including AACSB Accreditation and repeated recognition by The Princeton Review as one of the nation’s best business schools. Recent rankings also include being named one of BusinessBecause’s “7 Best Business Schools For Careers In CleanTech.”
To provide students with a high-quality education, we:
- feature a faculty whose engagement in research, practice, and service leads to rigorous and relevant classroom environments
- build a solid foundation of theoretical knowledge and contemporary management practices
- encourage critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and socially and environmentally responsible behavior
- provide ample opportunities to engage with professionals and organizations across functional areas and industries
- focus on a small number of high-quality programs that include specialized master’s degrees and an MBA degree
To address the complex nature of organizations and their environments, we:
- reflect on the larger societal context in which businesses function
- promote socially/environmentally responsible and globally minded approaches
- provide opportunities for students to apply their skills and knowledge to real-world situations
To prove our commitment to continuous improvement, we:
- expect faculty scholarship that is high quality and of significance to practice and/or the academy
- establish learning goals and monitor learning outcomes across the curriculum
- monitor and address the needs of our stakeholders, including students, faculty, alumni, and the community
- actively manage our progress toward achieving major goals consistent with our mission
To embrace our role in the broader liberal arts community of Clark University, we:
- actively support the university’s strategic initiatives, such as Liberal Education and Effective Practice (LEEP)*
- contribute to and leverage cross-disciplinary opportunities
- reflect Clark’s identity as a university that challenges convention and changes lives — and the world.