Skip to content

We Welcome You

Clark University supports the development and education of undocumented students and students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS) from admissions through graduation.


We welcome all applicants regardless of citizenship status. Below are some Frequently Asked Questions. If you have a specific question, please contact your admissions counselor.

Clark University Undergraduate Admissions

Clark University Graduate Admissions


Undocumented, DACA, or TPS students may follow the same application process as domestic students. When submitting the Common Application, undocumented students should answer the citizenship question by selecting “DACA, undocumented, Deferred Enforced Departure, or Temporary Protected Status.”

No, we accept applications from undocumented students with or without DACA status. There is no advantage in the admissions process for undocumented students with DACA status versus those without it.

Yes, undocumented students should feel free to share their personal stories through the essay portion of the application to help us better understand their backgrounds and experiences. High school guidance counselors and teachers are also welcome to share more through letters of recommendation. Information provided on the application is confidential and will not be disclosed to anyone outside of the university unless required by law. Understanding a student’s status will also help us guide them through the financial aid application process.

Yes, we consider all undocumented students living in the U.S. as domestic students who are eligible for domestic financial aid, which includes both merit-based scholarships and need-based aid. While undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid, they can be considered for institutional aid provided by Clark. To be considered for aid, students must complete the CSS Profile and submit their parents’ income tax returns, if available. If taxes are not filed taxes, a Nontax Filer Statement can be submitted. More information on financial aid can be found here.

No, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is not required for undocumented students with DACA status. However, students with DACA status can use their Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the FAFSA. While DACA students are currently not eligible for federal financial aid or federal loans, they can still complete the FAFSA to receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). A SAR can help demonstrate need when a student is applying for institutional aid and other scholarships. DACA students should select “No, I am not a citizen or eligible non-citizen” as a response to the “Are you a citizen?” question on the FAFSA.

Whether or not parents file taxes, parents’ financial information must be provided on the CSS Profile. An undocumented parent can complete the CSS Profile without a Social Security Number (the CSS Profile will assign a CSS ID to anyone who does not report an SSN). If parents use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file taxes, they should not use their ITIN in place of an SSN on the CSS profile.

No, parents’ citizenship status will not affect financial aid eligibility at Clark. In addition to the financial information on the CSS, some additional financial documents will need to be submitted to Clark. If parents file taxes, they can submit their W-2 and tax returns. If parents do not file taxes, they can submit a Nontax Filer Statement.

A student who is undocumented or has DACA or TPS and has health insurance that meets Massachusetts’ requirements can apply for a waiver online by visiting Should you have challenges accessing the waiver, please contact Christine Bostek in Student Accounts at

If a student has a work authorization card based on DACA or TPS, they can work in the U.S. and they should view open positions on Handshake. Feel free to contact Julie Bolduc in Student Employment with any questions.

Unfortunately, if a student is undocumented, they cannot work on campus. Students without work authorization can build on their experiences for their resumes for the future through volunteer opportunities. Undergraduate students can make an appointment in Handshake with a career adviser by topic (including career advising or finding funding for unpaid opportunities). Instructions for this are found here. Graduate students should reach out to their respective career services offices.

Resources for Students

There are many departments at Clark that strive to support students who are undocumented or hold DACA or TPS status.

Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI)

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) advances the University’s mission and commitment to excellence by working collaboratively to promote a campus climate that values diversity and inclusion and is free of bias and harassment for all students, staff, and faculty.

For more information on how ODI can assist you, please email the office.

Student Success

Recognizing that education is a process occurring both inside and outside the classroom, the Student Success staff is concerned with your well-being as a person living and learning in a community of scholars. As a result, you should feel free to consult with staff members in this office about any aspect of life at Clark, whether personal or academic.

If you are not sure who to bring your questions to, the Division of Student Success is a good place to start. For more information, call 1-508-793-7423 or email the office.

Identity, Student Engagement, and Access (ISEA)

Identity, Student Engagement, and Access (ISEA) also welcomes students who are undocumented or hold DACA and TPS status and are looking for social or academic support. Students can participate in identity-based community groups that meet regularly and/or attend events hosted by ISEA.

For more information, call 1-508-421-3722 or email the office.

Center for Counseling and Personal Growth

The Center for Counseling and Personal Growth’s (CPG’s) dedicated team of psychologists, counselors, and interns provides a range of clinical services for students who are undocumented or hold DACA and TPS status. These services include solution-focused first-time appointments, individual counseling, group therapy/drop-in discussion groups, crisis intervention, and psychiatry services. It is important to note that these services are confidential. Visit CPG for more information.

Community Engagement and Volunteering

Community Engagement and Volunteering (CEV) fosters connections between the Clark University community and the larger Worcester community in which it resides. For questions related to community-based resources and ways to better connect with Worcester, call 508-793-8815 or email the office.

International Students and Scholars Office

The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) advises more than 1,000 international students, faculty members, scholars, and their dependents from over 80 countries on matters relating to immigration, life in the U.S. and at Clark, and more. This ISSO can assist in connecting students with any immigration status to immigration counsel and other legal resources. The ISSO can provide basic information regarding various immigration options but is not authorized to give legal advice.

Please call 1-508-793-7362 or email for more information.

Current Status of DACA

As of April 2022, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is not able to approve new, initial DACA requests due to a court order. However, renewal DACA requests are being processed.

External Resources

  • Ascentria Care Alliance: Immigration Legal Assistance Program provides free and low-cost legal services to immigrants in Massachusetts. Their team of legal professionals and lawyers offers legal advice and representation to complete immigration applications and petitions.
  • Central West Justice Center provides free consultations on immigration law questions to low-income residents of Central and Western Massachusetts.
  • CENTRO, Inc. provides an array of social services, such as community support service, case management, family and children services, and a food pantry.
  • Catholic Charities of Worcester County Immigration Services provides assistance with the various forms of immigration applications, including family-based immigration, adjustment of status, employment authorization, and other related immigration forms and procedures. They also provide referrals for immigration physicals.
  • Community Legal Aid offers free representation to financially eligible noncitizens in the areas of housing, public benefits, disability, and employment law. Offers free representation to noncitizens seeking humanitarian immigration relief, including asylum, relief under the Violence Against Women Act, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas for crime victims, and T visas for Trafficking victims. Offers free family law representation to non-citizens who are victims of domestic violence. Serves low-income and elderly residents of Central and Western Massachusetts (Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, and Worcester Counties). Spanish spoken.
  • Cosecha Worcester is a part of Movimiento Cosecha, which is a national, non-violent movement fighting for permanent protection, dignity, and respect for all undocumented immigrants. To connect with Cosecha Worcester, you can either call 774-578-1739 or email.
  • LGBT Asylum Taskforce is a ministry of Hadwen Park Congregational Church, UCC that welcomes LGBTQ people of all faith traditions. They provide housing, food, and connection to legal, medical, and mental resources at other local agencies.
  • Refugee & Immigrant Assistance Center (RIAC) is a community-based, non-profit, grassroots human service agency that provides comprehensive services to refugees, asylees, and immigrants.
  • Stories Inspiring Movements (SIM) was previously known as the Student Immigrant Movement. SIM’s program spaces are designed for undocumented and immigrant youth to explore the power of grassroots organizing, relationship building, and political education training through a personal and collective lens. Their intention is to develop a network of highly-skilled immigrant youth organizers.
  • The Immigrant Learning Center is designed to help immigrants and refugees become economically self-sufficient and socially and civically engaged. Classes are offered free of charge, year-round to 900 or more students who range from those with little or no formal education to those with advanced degrees in their native languages.
Contact Information

Identity, Student Engagement, and Access

Office Location