The Office of Diversity and Inclusion advances the University’s mission and commitment to excellence by working collaboratively to promote a campus climate that values diversity and inclusion and is free of bias and harassment for all students, staff, and faculty.
Individual differences (e.g., personality, learning styles, and life experiences) and group/social differences (e.g., race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, and ability as well as cultural, political, religious, or other affiliations).
The active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with diversity—in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum, and in communities (intellectual, social, cultural, geographical) with which individuals might connect—in ways that increase awareness, content knowledge, cognitive sophistication, and empathic understanding of the complex ways individuals interact within systems and institutions.
The creation of opportunities for historically underrepresented populations to have equal access to and participate in educational programs that are capable of closing the achievement gaps in student success and completion.
A demonstrated awareness of and willingness to address equity issues among institutional leaders and staff (Center for Urban Education, University of Southern California).
formerly the Writing Center
The Fireside Lounge is a venue exclusively for Clark University diversity and inclusion focused events. You can request use of the Fireside Lounge by completing the Fireside Lounge Request Online Form. Reservations will be confirmed on a first come first serve basis.
- Please refer to the space as the Fireside Lounge in all your publicity and communication materials.
- All events must be affiliated with a Clark University recognized group or department. Groups and departments are responsible for any repairs or cleaning fees incurred from your event.
- You are responsible for all set-up and break-down of the room in a timely manner. Remember that there may be another group using the space immediately before or after you.
- Be sure to book time for both set-up and break-down of the space, as well as for the event itself. Otherwise, there may be another group in the room before you, and you will not have ample time to prepare for your event.
- A large flat screen television is available in the lounge. Cable and adapters for computer/laptop connection can be requested of and provided by ODI. However, when returned if any damages requiring replacement of this equipment will be your responsibility and at your cost. If ODI is not able to provide cable and adapter, please contact Media Services. Provisions for additional media support (i.e.: microphone, mic stands speaker, etc.) should be handled directly through Media Services.
- The Fireside Lounge can be used in its default setup with the stackable chairs available for additional seating if necessary. You may rearrange the set up to your needs. If additional furniture or arrangements are required, you are responsible to coordinate directly with Facilities/Physical Plant.
- You are required to leave the room clean and neat when you are finished using them. Furniture must be returned to the standard/default configuration .
- Should your event require additional breakdown services by Facilities/ Physical Plant, it must be completed by 8:00 am of the day following your event, unless otherwise notified.
- For events taking place during the hours of 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, please see the office of Diversity & Inclusion, first floor, Suite 2, to access the Fireside Lounge. For events outside normal business hours, please make arrangements with University Police to unlock the doors to both Dana Commons and the Fireside Lounge for your event and to lock up after your event.
- Any food service needs must be coordinated directly with Dining Services or vendor of your choosing. ALL food must be disposed of after your event. No food can be stored in the Fireside Lounge kitchen.
- Refreshments can be enjoyed in the lounge, however, food service tables must be set-up outside the lounge (Dining Service table(s) can be requested by Facilities/Physical Plant and placed outside the lounge).
- Groups will be given up to three (3) warnings of any violations to these guidelines. After receiving three warnings, groups will no longer have access to the Fireside Lounge, upon review of the Office of Diversity & Inclusion.
- Notify Maria Gallant of any cancellations at firstname.lastname@example.org