Scope and Contents of the Blakeslee Collection
George Hubbard Blakeslee (1871-1954) taught history and international relations at Clark University from 1903 until his retirement in 1943. Dr. Blakeslee created and edited the first journal devoted to the study of international relations: the Journal of Race Development (it was later renamed the Journal of International Relations and in 1922 it merged with Foreign Affairs). He also founded at Clark University in 1909 a pioneering series of conferences about international relations. Because Dr. Blakeslee was a leader in the academic study of international relations, he was a longtime advisor for the State Department, both while he was teaching at Clark and after he was named emeritus professor.
Dr. Blakeslee's family donated the collection and its literary rights to the university in 1971. The papers occupy about nine linear feet of shelf space. The collection includes his pamphlets, addresses, letters, scrapbooks, and reports. The collection deals with both his university and diplomatic activity and covers the period from 1888 to 1962.
Although this collection contains no official correspondence between Dr. Blakeslee and the State Department, there remains much material of great historical interest. Among other things, this includes material concerning the Washington Disarmament Conference of 1921, the Lytton Commission of 1931-32, and the post-World War II Far East Commission. It also includes information about Clark conferences concerning China and Latin America; American relations with Japan, China, and Russia; post-World War II issues; problems concerning the Philippines, Australia, and the Mandated Islands.
Additional material in the Clark University Archives related to Blakeslee can be found in the papers of Presidents Hall, Atwood, and Jefferson, Professor Dwight Lee's papers, and the photo collection.