Students in biochemistry and molecular biology have access to Clark University’s extensive scientific facilities, equipment, and resources — including several NMR spectrometers.
Along with Goddard Library, the 5,000-square-foot Carlson Library and dedicated science librarian provides one-on-one research assistance and access to numerous databases, scholarly articles and journals, books, and other resources.
Biology Facilities, Equipment, and Resources
The state-of-the-art Lasry Center for Bioscience is a 50,000-square-foot space that received a Gold certification by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System. The building houses research laboratories with plenty of natural light, teaching and collaborative spaces, and an impressive cache of equipment used by faculty and students in biology, biochemistry and molecular biology, and environmental science.
Chemistry Facilities, Equipment, and Resources
Clark chemistry’s research lives in the Jeppson Laboratory and the Arthur M. Sackler Sciences Center, which connects with the Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science Building. The buildings offer more than 50,000 square feet of research and teaching laboratories, lecture and seminar rooms, department offices, and state-of-the-art equipment for structure determination and assessment of macromolecular dynamics, thermodynamic studies, kinetic studies, molecular biology, and protein purification.
Students can also access a large array of computer workstations to facilitate both sophisticated computations and the visualization of complex biomolecular structures. Some of the major equipment includes:
- Mercury VX 200 MHz solution-state NMR Spectrometer equipped with a 5-mm switchable broadband probe
- Varian Inova 400 MHz wide bore NMR Spectrometer, dual solids/liquids system equipped with both static and MAS probes
- Varian Inova 600 MHz, 4 channel solution-state NMR Spectrometer equipped with a 5-mm PFG triple-resonance probe
- Varian Mercury-plus 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer
- Varian Inova 600 MHz liquids NMR Spectrometer with Cold Probe