Courses and Requirements
The minimum number of course units required for the degree is 10 units.
MSA Course Requirements
The MSA courses are categorized into three categories:
- Foundation Courses
- Core Courses
- Elective Courses
Foundation Courses (2 units):
The following courses may be waived based on prior undergraduate or graduate work or may be taken at GSOM.
- One unit in accounting. (GSOM course: ACCT 4101: Foundations of Accounting)
- One unit in economics or statistics or operations management or quantitative methods. (GSOM courses: ECON 4004, STAT 4005, STAT 4006, OM 4600, OM 4601)
REQUIRED COURSES FOR MSA:
Every degree candidate takes five one-unit core courses and five one-unit electives from the following list. A student who has any of the core courses waived because of a strong accounting background must substitute elective courses for the waived courses. Waivers will not reduce the length of the program below ten units.
Core Courses (5 units):
Course substitutions permitted based on prior coursework.
- ACCT 5101: Financial Accounting and Reporting I
- ACCT 5102: Financial Accounting and Reporting II
- ACCT 5103: Management Accounting
- ACCT 5105: Financial and Operational Auditing
- ACCT 5206: Federal Taxation
Based on the prior accounting courses, a maximum of 3 core units may be waived at the discretion of the Director of MSA program.
Elective Courses (total 5 units from the following two groups):
Group 1: Minimum 2 units from the following:
- ACCT 5107: Analysis of Financial Statements
- ACCT 5108: Business Analysis and Valuation
- ACCT 5109: Government and Nonprofit Accounting
- ACCT 5210: Advanced Accounting
- ACCT 5410: Accounting Internship (Enrollment limited)
- ACCT 5411: Accounting and Finance for Sustainability
Group 2: Minimum 1 unit must have FIN prefix:
- FIN 4200: Financial Management
- FIN 5201: Case Studies in Corporate Finance
- FIN 5281: Case Studies in International Finance
- FIN 5301: Stock and Bond Valuation (1/2 unit)
- FIN 5405: Mergers and Acquisitions
- MGMT 4708: Business Law (1/2 unit)
- MGMT 5900: Special Topics - Business Law II (1/2 unit)
- MGMT 4709: Business in Society (1/2 unit)
- MGMT 5201: Human Resource Management
- MGMT 5308: Women in Management (1/2 unit)
- MGMT 5407: International Labor Relations (1/2 unit)
- MGMT 5784: Leadership and Decision Making
- MGMT 5807: Cross-Cultural Management
- MIS 4500: Management Information Systems
- MIS 5501: Database Management Systems (1/2 unit)
- MIS 5505: Management of Information Technologies
- MIS 5506: Knowledge Management in Organizations (1/2 unit)
- MIS 5553: Information Systems Analysis and Design
Other graduate courses in GSOM may be used as electives with the MSA Director's permission.