Skip to content

For updates about COVID-19 at Clark, please visit the Healthy Clark Dashboard.

DACA and Undocumented Students

Clark University continues to expand its resources and expertise in supporting the development and education of undocumented students and students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). We welcome all applicants regardless of citizenship status. Undocumented students, with or without Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), are treated the same as other U.S. citizens or permanent residents in Clark’s admissions process.

UPDATE:  July 27, 2018

Immigration advocates report that the window to renew DACA may become more complicated by mid-to late August. Make sure to renew now if:

  • Your DACA expiration date is within one year
  • If your work permit has already expired

Advocates and lawyers note that USCIS is not rejecting applications with renewal dates that that are far in the future – even those that are more than 180 days in advance.  Experts advise that is more risky right now to be in an unlawful presence status than to apply to renew DACA.  There is immediate risk for deportation for anyone who is in unlawful presence.

Here are two resources that may be helpful:

Check out the Statement of Support from the University administration and from student leaders for undocumented/DACA students.

Undocumented students should follow the same application procedure for all domestic (not international) applicants to Clark. While federal financial aid is not available, undocumented students may be eligible for merit scholarships and some sources of institutional aid provided by the University. A FAFSA is not required to apply for aid.

While procedures for financial aid vary between domestic and international applicants, undocumented students are considered for domestic financial aid like other U.S. citizens or permanent residents, with the exception of federal funding sources.

1. Complete the CSS Profile. Check the College Board for information on fee waivers.

2. If you are a student with DACA status, you can submit a FAFSA to receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), if desired. However, this is not necessary for Clark financial aid.

  • September 2017 letter from President Angel
  • December 2016 letter from President Angel
  • General Information
  • Admissions and Financial Aid
  • Legal Aid
  • DACA Renewals
  • Life After College
  • After Removal Proceedings
  • Additional Clark University Resource: The Office of Multicultural and First Generation Student Support
    • Students who identify from racially underrepresented groups (African-American/Black-, Latinx-, Asian/Desi-, Pacific Islander-, Native/Indigenous- American, and Multiracial) can find mentoring and support for their student experiences at Clark in the Office of Multicultural and First Generation Student Support.  The office also welcomes undocumented and DACA students looking for social/academic support.  Students can participate in identity-based community groups that meet regularly.  To make an appointment, call 1-508-421-3722 or email Hayley Haywood, Director of Multicultural and First Generation Student Support.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Clark University admits students regardless of their citizenship status and knowingly admits undocumented students. Undocumented students, with or without DACA, can follow the same application procedures for domestic students. When submitting the Common Application, undocumented students should answer the citizenship question by specifying ‘Other/Non-US’, select the country of which they are a citizen, and answer ‘Currently held visa’ with the option ‘I do not hold a currently valid US non-immigration visa’. More information on our admissions process can be found here.

No, we accept applications from undocumented students with or without DACA status. There is no advantage in the admissions process for undocumented students with DACA status versus those without it.

Yes, undocumented students should feel free to share their personal stories through the essay portion of the application to help us better understand their backgrounds and experiences. High school guidance counselors and teachers are also welcome to share more through letters of recommendation. Information provided on the application is confidential.

Yes, we consider all undocumented students living in the U.S. as domestic students who are eligible for domestic financial aid, which includes both merit-based scholarships and need-based aid. While undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid, they can be considered for institutional aid provided by the University. To be considered for aid, students must complete the CSS Profile and submit their parents’ income tax returns, if available. If your parents do not file taxes, you can submit a Nontax Filer Statement. More information on financial aid.

No, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is not required for undocumented students with DACA status. However, students with DACA status can use their Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the FAFSA. While DACA students are currently not eligible for federal financial aid or federal loans, they can still complete the FAFSA to receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). A SAR can help demonstrate need when a student is applying for institutional aid and other scholarships. DACA students should select “No, I am not a citizen or eligible non-citizen” as a response to the “Are you a citizen?” question on the FAFSA.

Whether or not your parents file taxes, you must provide your parents’ financial information on the CSS Profile. An undocumented parent can complete the CSS Profile without a Social Security Number (the CSS Profile will assign a CSS ID to anyone who does not report a SSN). If your parents have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file taxes, do not use their ITIN in place of a SSN.

No, your parents’ citizenship status will not affect your financial aid eligibility at Clark. In addition to the financial information on the CSS, you will need to submit additional financial documents to Clark. If your parents file taxes, you can submit their W-2 and tax returns. If your parent do not file taxes, you can submit a Nontax Filer Statement.

Admissions applications at Clark are reviewed by the state or region where you attend high school, not by citizenship status.

Find your counselor

Contact Information

International Students & Scholars Office

Office Location
Office Hours
  • 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday