Skip to content

sutdents sitting on the grass in the campus greens

We Welcome You

Clark University supports the development and education of undocumented students and students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS) from admissions through graduation.


We welcome all applicants regardless of citizenship status. Below are some Frequently Asked Questions. If you have a specific question, please contact and admissions counselor.

Clark University Undergraduate Admissions

Clark University Graduate Admissions


Undocumented, DACA or TPS students may follow the same application process as domestic students. When submitting the Common Application, undocumented students should answer the citizenship question by specifying ‘Other/Non-U.S.’, select the country of which they are a citizen, and answer ‘Currently held visa’ with the option ‘I do not hold a currently valid U.S. non-immigration visa’.

No, we accept applications from undocumented students with or without DACA status. There is no advantage in the admissions process for undocumented students with DACA status versus those without it.

Yes, undocumented students should feel free to share their personal stories through the essay portion of the application to help us better understand their backgrounds and experiences. High school guidance counselors and teachers are also welcome to share more through letters of recommendation. Information provided on the application is confidential.

Yes, we consider all undocumented students living in the U.S. as domestic students who are eligible for domestic financial aid, which includes both merit-based scholarships and need-based aid. While undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid, they can be considered for institutional aid provided by Clark. To be considered for aid, students must complete the CSS Profile and submit their parents’ income tax returns, if available. If taxes are not filed taxes, a Nontax Filer Statement can be submitted. More information on financial aid can be found here

No, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is not required for undocumented students with DACA status. However, students with DACA status can use their Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the FAFSA. While DACA students are currently not eligible for federal financial aid or federal loans, they can still complete the FAFSA to receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). A SAR can help demonstrate need when a student is applying for institutional aid and other scholarships. DACA students should select “No, I am not a citizen or eligible non-citizen” as a response to the “Are you a citizen?” question on the FAFSA.

Whether or not parents file taxes, parents’ financial information must be provided on the CSS Profile. An undocumented parent can complete the CSS Profile without a Social Security Number (the CSS Profile will assign a CSS ID to anyone who does not report a SSN). If parents use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file taxes, they should not use their ITIN in place of a SSN on the CSS profile.

No, parents’ citizenship status will not affect  financial aid eligibility at Clark. In addition to the financial information on the CSS, some additional financial documents will need to be submitted to Clark. If parents file taxes, they can submit their W-2 and tax returns. If parent do not file taxes, they can submit a Nontax Filer Statement.

All matriculated international students enrolled in classes at Clark for a semester or more are required to be enrolled in Clark’s Student Health Insurance Plan.  However, if a student who is undocumented or has DACA or TPS and has health insurance that meets Massachusetts’ requirements, they can request a waiver.

If a student has a work authorization card based on DACA or TPS, they can work in the U.S. and they should view open positions on Handshake.  Feel free to contact Julie Bolduc in Student Employment with any questions.

If a student is undocumented, unfortunately they cannot work on campus. However, they may be able to secure a volunteer position so that they can build your work experiences for their resume. If you are an undergraduate student, make an appointment in Handshake with a career adviser by topic (including career advising or finding funding for unpaid opportunities. Instructions for this are found here. Graduate students should reach out to their respective career services offices.

Resources for Students

There are many departments at Clark who strive to support students who are undocumented or hold DACA or TPS status.

Dean of Students Office

Hayley Haywood, assistant dean for equity and student success, supports underrepresented students, including those of all citizenships, in best advocating for themselves and connecting you with appropriate resources. She can also act as a liaison between you and faculty or staff on campus.  Please email Hayley for additional information on how she can best help.

International Center at Corner House

The International Center (IC) is the main hub for international students at Clark, and it supports all students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.  Please contact Amy Daly Gardner, associate dean for international programs, to ask any questions or set up an appointment.  Amy can answer questions and can help troubleshoot immigration-related questions.

Multicultural and First Generation Student Support Office

The Multicultural and First Generation Student Support Office (MFGSS) office also welcomes students who are undocumented or hold DACA and TPS status and are looking for social or academic support.  Students can participate in identity-based community groups that meet regularly. For more information, call 1-508-421-3722 or email Peyton Wu, director of multicultural and first generation student support.

Center for Counseling and Personal Growth

The Center for Counseling and Personal Growth’s (CPG’s) dedicated team of psychologists, counselors and interns provide a range of clinical services for students who are undocumented or hold DACA and TPS status. These services include solution-focused first-time appointments, individual counseling, group therapy/drop-in discussion groups, crisis intervention, and psychiatry services. It is important to note that these services are confidential. Visit CPG for more information.

External DACA Resources

If you are unsure of where to go to get the resources you need, please reach out to Amy Daly Gardner or Hayley Haywood

Contact Information

International Center

Office Location
Office Hours
  • 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday