The sociology major develops a number of related skills. Students are able to:
- Explain or predict empirical phenomena with reference to a theoretical model.
- Identify, compare, and contrast basic theoretical orientations in the discipline.
- Identify, compare, and contrast basic methodological approaches.
- Design a research study in an area of their choice, and explain why various methodological decisions were made.
- Assess the methodology of sociological research critically and explain the way in which the study could be improved or strengthened.
- Identify and explain the historical and cultural variation in defining categories such as race, class, gender, and age.
- Discuss the social processes that produce difference and inequality at various levels and scales, including the institutional, cultural, and structural mechanisms that create and sustain inequality.