Travel and Re-entry
You must carry a passport that will be valid for reentry to the United States. Your passport should be valid for six months beyond your anticipated stay in the United States. Citizens of certain countries are exempt from this six-month rule. The ISSO has a list of such countries.
- a valid Form I-20, signed once an academic year by your advisors in the ISSO. If you are traveling to Canada the signature should not be more than 6 months old.
- a valid F-1 visa stamp in the passport updated proof of funding as listed on the I-20
- proof of registration (unofficial transcript can be obtained on Web For Students)
J-1 Exchange Visitors
- a valid Form DS-2019 signed for travel by a responsible officer of your Exchange Visitor Program*
- a valid J-1 visa stamp in the passport
- updated proof of funding as listed on the DS-2019
* If The ISSO issued your DS-2019, it must be signed on the back by staff from The ISSO. If your form was issued by another Exchange Visitor Program (Fulbright, LASPAU, AID) you should contact that organization directly regarding travel signatures.
H-1B and O-1 Visa Holders
- an original I-797 Approval Notice from Department of Homeland Security that is valid for a period beyond the anticipated travel
- a valid H-1B or O-1 visa stamp in the passport
- a letter verifying your current employment. The letter should include your title and salary.