Bishnu Maya Pariyar, M.A. ’07

Bishnu Maya PariyarAcross every sphere, from health to the economy, security to social protection, the coronavirus pandemic has created extremely difficult situations for poor, marginalized and Dalit people in Nepal. The UN reports a 20 percent increase in rates of violence against women and children during this enforced lockdown. The organization of which I’m founding president, ADWAN.org, is helping the Dalit and other disadvantaged people by providing relief packages. I am also raising funds for daily wage laborers, women and children in remote, rural regions of Nepal. With this funding, ADWAN will help get food and health and hygiene supplies to these vulnerable communities to cope during the COVID-19 shutdown.

Currently I am in New Jersey. I am proud to serve on an advisory board for the mayor of Jersey City and on the executive team for the Non-Resident Nepali Association. In New Jersey, we are also providing international Nepali students and needy families with emergency essentials. This is the time to support each other and be safe.