Welcome New Students More
Clark University students smiling outside Jonas Clark Hall


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I transfer credits from my previous school?
Credit information is available on Web-for-Students. Approved courses that have been awarded Program of Liberal Studies (PLS) waivers are identified in your online record. Transfer courses will also be evaluated for major waiver by your major department chair. You'll be informed of these waivers when you discuss your fall selection of courses with your faculty adviser. During the summer, your faculty adviser will assist you in selecting courses based on the transfer credits you received. Read more information on the Program of Liberal Studies (PLS) courses. If you have additional questions about credits, please contact Academic Advising at 508-793-7468.

2) Why do I have to be at Orientation?
Our Transfer Orientation program is different from the program first-year students attend. It is specifically designed with your needs in mind, offering programs that are pertinent to transfer students. Our specialized program provides opportunities for you to receive focused attention and guidance from staff, faculty and administrators. You will have the opportunity to meet and interact with fellow transfer students, as well as get acquainted with peers who have been specially trained to advise transfer students.

3) How was I assigned a faculty adviser ?
You are matched up with a Faculty Adviser (FA) according to the interest you expressed in a particular academic field. You may not have an FA in your department until you declare a major. However, once you have declared a major, you will work with a FA in that department. It is important to note here that all FAs in all departments have sufficient knowledge of the overall academic environment at Clark to guide you through the initial course registration process.

4) Why did I only get .75 credit for my transfer class?
Colleges and universities have a variety of ways in which credit is applied to courses. Some institutions operate on a 3.0 credit per course system while others award 4.0 credits. Colleges also may have different academic calendars, which will impact the amount of credit a course will carry. At Clark, we operate on a unit system where almost all courses carry 1.0 unit which is equivalent to 4.0 semester credits. The amount of transfer credit you received is based upon this formula. One of the first programs you will attend during orientation is an Academic Advising session with the Senior Associate Dean of the College and the Chair of the Faculty, who will help to clarify any questions you may have about the Clark credit system. If you have questions prior to your arrival in August, please contact Academic Advising at 508-793-7468.

5) I took a class in a previous school that I feel should have fulfilled one of the perspective requirements at Clark. What do I do?
Academic Advising makes all decisions regarding which classes from your previous institution will fulfill Clark perspectives. If you feel a course merited a PLS waiver but did not receive one, please email your request for a waiver review, along with a catalog description of the course, to Dean McKenna. Your peer adviser will be a good resource during orientation to discuss questions you may have about your courses.

6) How many classes have I already completed for my major?
Major waivers are decided by the chair of your department, who will tell you which courses you have fulfilled for your major. If you have specific questions about major credit, you may wish to email the chair of your major department. Explore the complete list of departments. Once you arrive, your peer adviser can assist you in finding your specific department on-campus.

7) I just want to talk to someone. Who should I get in touch with?
The Office of Student Leadership & Programming can assist you in answering any questions you have about Transfer Orientation. Feel free to contact us at 508-793-7549.

We would also recommend emailing the student Orientation Coordinator for transfer students, who will be able to answer any questions about academics, residential life, involvement in student groups, and more.

Specific questions about course credit should be directed to Dean McKenna.