Office of Study Abroad and Study Away Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for applying to study abroad?

  • A minimum cumulative GPA is 3.0. Each program has its own requirement which may be higher or lower than Clark's.
  • A declared major and a faculty advisor within that major.
  • A passport valid for 6 months beyond your expected date of return from studying abroad
  • Good academic and social standing at Clark University (You must not be on probation.)
  • Language programs typically require previous study in the host country's language, if the language is taught at Clark.
  • Program-specific requirements such as academic year, GPA, language proficiency, specific course completion, etc.
  • While we do not recommend that students study abroad during their senior year, it is possible to study abroad during the first semester, senior year on certain programs. Because of Clark's residency requirement during the senior year, you may not take a foreign leave of absence to study at a non-Clark program. Read more about specific requirements.

How do I choose a program?

Clark University currently offers over 50 semester or yearlong programs abroad. The best candidates for studying abroad start with a clear academic purpose for their travels. Talk to your faculty advisor about your plans. Review your PLS and major requirements. After doing so, the location and program of study that best fits you becomes clearer. Here are some other considerations you should take into account:

  • How does study abroad fit into your academic time frame and plans?
  • Do you want to study abroad for a semester, year, or during the summer?
  • Do you want to increase your foreign language proficiency or learn a new language?
  • Do you want to participate in an internship, service learning or community volunteer opportunity?
  • Do you want to immerse yourself in the culture of a foreign country by living with a family, or would you prefer living in a dorm?
  • Living, visa, and transportation expenses vary from country to country. Know what you can afford.
  • Does Clark have an affiliation with the program you've selected? Although Clark approves some study abroad programs offered through other institutions (non-Clark-affiliated programs), studying abroad on one of these programs requires you to petition for a foreign leave of absence. Clark financial aid can not be applied to non-Clark-affiliated programs.

What is the cost?

The following costs are billed by and paid to Clark University for students studying on Clark-affiliated programs:

  • $1000 Administrative Study Abroad and Study Away Fee
  • Clark Tuition* (with exception of CAPA London Internship)
  • HTH International Travel Medical Insurance (For programs which do not carry their own comprehensive international insurance.)
  • For the CAPA London Internship Program, students pay Clark's International Program Fee, and Clark pays the program fees in London.

*Generally all Clark scholarships and financial aid are applied to the cost of study abroad on a Clark-affiliated program. Check with your Clark financial aid counselor and your Clark student accounts counselor for specific information on your personal situation.

The following costs are billed by and paid by the student to the program:

  • Deposits required by the program
  • Housing; meals, if provided.* Students do their own cooking on many programs.**
  • Additional fees as determined by the program. (See the program website for details.)

**Generally students who receive scholarships from their program will have the amount deducted from this bill.

Students are responsible for arranging and paying for their on travel arrangements, passport and visa (if required), personal expenses, books, and expenses during breaks. Clark also recommends that students apply for scholarships to help with extra costs incurred while studying abroad. In general, studying abroad is more expensive than studying at Clark.

May international students study abroad?

International students may study abroad, but International Student Scholarships awarded by Clark cannot be applied to off-campus programs. This includes Study Abroad Programs as well as our programs in Washington, D.C. Exceptions may be requested through a petition to the Dean of the College.

International students studying abroad in their home country should request for credit transfer through Academic Advising.

Can I fulfill a PLS or a requirement for my major while I'm abroad?

Yes, with pre-approval. An approval form is provided as part of the application process.

  • PLS Requirements - The course abroad must fulfill the same parameters as they would for a course at Clark. Courses must be pre-approved through Dean Kevin McKenna, Associate Dean of the College.
  • Major Requirements - Courses which are taken in order to fulfill a major requirement must be PRE-approved by your major advisor or the Chair of the Department. Applicants should obtain a copy of the course description or the course syllabus to share with your advisor.

Are there programs for particular majors?

Clark has an exchange program with the University of East Anglia, and we generally advise English majors to attend this excellent institution, which also has a very good Environmental Science and Art History program. Psychology majors should attend the University of Stirling or University of Sussex. Sussex has an excellent Pre-Med program as well. Keep in mind that students in other majors can attend these universities as well. Murdoch University in Perth has excellent programs in Environmental Studies, Media Studies and Management. The School For Field Studies programs are also very good for students interested in Environmental Science or Sustainable Development. TheJewish Studies in Prague semester is specifically geared toward students interested in the history, culture and arts of Central European Jews in the 20th century. The Service Learning program in Cape Town, South Africa, is especially focused on providing students with a framework to fulfill their educational and personal goals, while also giving back to the communities in which their learning takes place. Sociology and International Development majors will find this program rewarding as well as challenging. The new program at The Burren College of Art, Ireland, is meant specifically for the serious studio art student.

Major and Minor/Concentration requirement approvals are granted by the individual department.

When are the applications due?

Applications are due:

  • September 15th for the following spring semester
  • February 15th for the following fall semester or academic year, and for summer programs

How much credit will I earn on a Study Abroad program?

You have the opportunity to earn a semester or year's worth of credit on all Clark-affiliated programs. Generally a full course of study abroad will translate to 4 Clark units per semester. However, students should understand the conversion of credits from their host program abroad to Clark's system of credits. The International Office of the program abroad and the Study Abroad Office will be happy to assist the student if they have questions.

Are there options for studying abroad other than semester or year-long pograms?


  • You can apply to the May Term Program in Luxembourg to earn one Clark unit.
  • You can earn up to two Clark units during the summer studying with another university. Before you begin your program you must apply for transfer credit from Clark through the Study Abroad Office.

Who are the overseas and/or US contacts for each Clark Program?

View the Study Abroad Overseas Contacts page.