To the Clark Community:
Our work to develop a strategic framework for the University is underway.
We have begun with a visioning phase in which we – together – are establishing a sense of what defines Clark and Clarkies, and how we can bring that forward into an even stronger, bolder Clark of the future. Hundreds of members of our faculty and staff participated in visioning sessions that were held over the winter break. This included three interactive mingles and a more structured introduction, all focused on culture and identity, DEI, and exciting work by our faculty. You can see some of the output from these sessions on the strategic planning website, along with general information about the process. With the spring semester now underway, we will be inviting students to engage, as well.
We write today to share an important next step: the formation of a steering committee that will evaluate and shepherd incoming proposals and ideas, advise senior University leadership on how to prioritize and balance a portfolio of initiatives, and constantly assess progress. The steering committee includes broad representation from across the university. Members include:
- David Chearo, Vice President for Planning & Strategic Initiatives (Chair)
- Yuko Aoyama, Associate Provost and Dean of Research and Graduate Studies, Professor in the Graduate School of Geography
- Alan Eisner, Dean of the School of Management
- David Hibbett, Professor of Biology
- Betsy Huang, Associate Provost and Dean of the College, Andrea B. and Peter D. Klein ’64 Distinguished Professor, Associate Professor of English
- Esther Jones, Associate Provost and Dean of the Faculty, E. Franklin Frazier Chair of African American Literature, Theory and Culture, Associate Professor of English
- Jim Keogh, Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications
- John LaBrie, Associate Provost for Professional Education and Dean of the School of Professional Studies
- Melissa Lynch, Senior Writer and Content Editor, Marketing and Communications (Staff Assembly Representative)
- Francy Magee, Associate Provost and Dean of Students
- Mark Miller, Professor of Political Science, Director of the Law and Society Program
- Rosalie Torres Stone, Associate Professor of Sociology
- Kristina Wilson, Professor of Art History
- Paul Wykes, Chief Budget Officer
- TBD, Chief Officer of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (pending completion of search in progress)
- TBD, Undergraduate Student Council Representative (pending nomination by CUSC)
- TBD, Graduate Student Council Representative (pending nomination by GSC)
The steering committee is going to play a critical role in setting a course for our University’s future. We thank all who have agreed to serve.
We will regularly be announcing ways in which students, faculty and staff can participate in conversations, brainstorming sessions, and other activities around our broad strategic planning or more specific areas of focus. Please be on the lookout for invitations to engage. You are also encouraged to regularly check the strategic planning website for the latest information.
This is an exciting time for Clark. Thank you for being a part of moving the University forward.
David B. Fithian ‘87
Vice President for Planning & Strategic Initiatives