Skip to content

Healthy Clark Dashboard and Healthy Clark COVID Plan

If you are in the United States with an immigration status other than F-1, you may be able to retain that status and enroll in a degree program at Clark. However, options for enrollment and employment may be restricted by your current immigration status. Note that the change of status process is not advised for people on a B-1/B-2 visa.   If you have questions, contact the ISSO.

Here are some reasons you may want to change from your current status to F-1 status:

  • Your current status does not allow you to study
  • You are aging out of your current status
  • You want to be eligible to apply for Practical Training (CPT/OPT) benefits

Process for changing to F-1 student status:

  • Complete the International Student Form and upload financial documents into the Clark University application system.
  • Complete Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
  • Gather the required supporting documents, including your admissions letter to Clark, your I-20, financial documents, proof of payment of the SEVIS fee, and a letter from you explaining the reasons you desire to change status.
  • Schedule an appointment with your ISSO advisor to review your application package and ask questions you may have about the process.
  • Change of status applications may take 3 to 9 months for approval. Do not leave the United States while the application is pending.
Contact Information

International Students & Scholars Office

Office Location
Office Hours
  • 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday