Skip to content

Healthy Clark Dashboard and Healthy Clark COVID Plan

This section contains information for current faculty and scholars at Clark.  Review this section for information about maintaining your status, health insurance and extensions of your status.

Maintaining status

You are responsible for understanding the laws and maintaining your immigration status. If you have questions about anything related to your immigration status, please contact ISSO.

  • Check in with the International Students and Scholars Office upon your arrival at Clark.
  • Your passport should always be valid for at least six months into the future.  If your passport is going to expire, visit the embassy/consulate of your home country to renew it in a timely manner.
  • If you move, notify ISSO of your new residential address within 10 days of the change.
  • If you are on a J-1 visa, do not work on or off-campus unless the work authorization is listed on your DS-2019.
  • If you are here on an F-1 visa, make sure that you only work at Clark during the time that you have employment authorization.
  • If you are on CPT, only work during the dates listed on your I-20.
  • If you are on OPT, only work during the dates listed on your EAD (OPT card).
  • If you are on STEM OPT, do not work unless your I-983 form is completed and on file at Clark and at the OPT sponsoring institution.  Make sure that you have an EAD with current dates or that your STEM OPT application is pending and is within 180 days of the last date on your 12 month EAD.
  • If you are on an H-1B visa, do not work for any other employer other than Clark without a concurrent H-1B.   Make sure that you contact the ISSO at least 6 months before your H-1B expires to insure that your status does not expire.

J-1 Scholars are allowed by US Federal Law to stay in the US for up to 30 days after the end date on the DS-2019 to take care of personal business only.

Your Academic Department Chair should notify the ISSO one to two months prior to end date on your DS-2019 if an extension is needed to continue working or to continue doing research.

It is up to the faculty/staff member to contact the ISSO if the H-1B status is going to expire.  It might be difficult to travel outside of the US while new H-1B petition is pending.  Please contact ISSO 6 to  8 months prior to H-1B expiration to find out what travel restrictions might pertain to you.

Health insurance

Health care in the United States is probably very different from health care in your own country.  The United States has no national health program and health care is very expensive.  For those of you who use prescription medication, you will need a new prescription from a United States doctor in order to purchase that medication in the US.  Some medications that are available in your home country may not be available in the US.

  1. All those who are in J-1 status in the US are obligated by US federal regulations to have health insurance that meets the following criteria:
  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000.00 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.00
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the J-1 visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000.00.
  • A deductible not to exceed $500.00 per accident or illness.
  1. If you are employed by Clark University, check your offer of employment letter to see if your position includes health insurance benefits.
  2. If you are not employed by Clark and/or do not have health insurance benefits, you must arrange for health insurance coverage.  Here are some companies that offer insurance coverage especially tailored to the needs of those on J-1 visas:

In almost all cases, faculty who are sponsored on an H-1B visa by Clark will have health insurance benefits included in their employment package.

Contact Information

International Students & Scholars Office

Office Location
Office Hours
  • 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday