Biological safety cabinets are divided into three classes based on the amount of protection they provide.
Class I: The investigator is partially protected, no protection for the sample.
Class II: The investigator is partially protected and the sample is protected.
Class III: Both the sample and the investigator are protected.
How to Use BioSafety Cabinets Safely
Follow these rules:
- Turn it on 5 minutes before use to allow the airflow to establish itself.
- Lower sash as far as you can.
- Do not block airflow.
- Secure papers to prevent entrapment in the exhaust line.
- Wipe down the surface with disinfectant before each use.
- Minimize hand movement.
- Do not use a flame inside the cabinet.