Moving Out of the Residence Halls
Students must vacate their fall academic year housing assignment no later than noon Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020. The residence halls will remain closed until Feb. 18, 2021.
As part of the check-out process:
- Students should take most of their belongings with them and prepare for move-out:
- Take any valuables, prescription medication, and important documents (driver’s license, passport, airline tickets, etc.).
- Discard all perishable food items.
- Discard or donate all non-perishable food items. Non-perishable food items can be donated to the Clark University Food Pantry.
- Remove all bedding (sheets, blankets, and pillows) from the bed.
- Empty closets and drawers of personal belongings.
- Pick up any floor coverings (area rugs) and remove wall coverings and decorations, including decorative lights.
- Students may box up items to store in their rooms during the break:
- Each student will be provided two boxes by Collegeboxes to pack up belongings to leave in their residence hall space. As a precaution, they should be prepared for shipping or future pick-up.
- Boxes will remain in residence hall spaces to be unpacked in the spring semester. Should spring plans change and it becomes necessary to ship or store boxes, students will work directly with Collegeboxes regarding those expenses.
- Students will be allowed to retrieve their belongings from their room should they not attend in the spring semester.
- Understand that leaving items behind in rooms involves a risk of loss or damage to personal items while items are unattended over the extended break.
- Students are permitted to have one person assist with packing and moving belongings. Guests must wear a mask, practice appropriate social distancing, and adhere to all aspects of The Clark Commitment, as outlined in the Healthy Clark COVID Plan.
- Carts will be available at the Higgins University Center to assist with moving belongings.
- Each student will complete a check-out with a Residential Life and Housing (RLH) staff member.
Special Circumstances During Residence Hall Closure
The residence halls will remain closed between Nov. 21, 2020, and Feb. 18, 2021, or until re-opening becomes possible. Students who believe they will face exceptional challenges with vacating the residence halls as outlined during this time, should note the following:
- Students with extenuating circumstances who require housing over the extended winter break may apply for break and intersession housing via the online request form.
- Applications are due by Oct. 9, 2020, at 5 p.m. ET and will be reviewed by RLH and the Dean of Students Office.
- For those few exceptions granted, students will be assigned a different space on campus and will not be able to access the room they occupied during the fall semester during this time.
- A daily fee will be charged for break and intersession housing.
- Please review the online request form for more details regarding this process and about making requests.
- Students who may need a late departure or early arrival time to accommodate travel plans should communicate these needs to RLH by submitting an online request form. Requests are due by Nov. 1, 2020, at 5 p.m. ET and will be reviewed by RLH.
Planning Ahead for Spring
Because COVID-19 requires us to be prepared for many possibilities, further details about spring move-in will be announced later.
We are working diligently to ensure a safe and smooth transition from the fall to spring semester, and we appreciate students’ ongoing flexibility and adherence to the The Clark Commitment.
If Clark is able to open for the spring semester, move-in will take place between Feb. 18 and Feb. 20, 2021. While we acknowledge that plans may shift significantly between now and then, we are providing information below to assist with planning:
- When making travel plans, it is advisable to seek flexible or refundable tickets in the event students cannot return to campus personally to retrieve belongings or resume coursework.
- To support a safe move-in, students will be assigned a date and time to move into their residence hall spaces between Feb. 18 and Feb. 20, 2021. Specific time assignments and instructions will be communicated to students in mid-January. The general schedule of move-in for each residence hall is available on the Housing website.
- In addition to pre-arrival testing, COVID-19 testing will likely be required of all students upon arrival to campus. Residential students will proceed first to the arrival testing area in the Kneller Athletic Center and then must quarantine in their rooms until test results are communicated. Dining services will be accessible during the quarantine period.
- The move-in process will adhere to The Clark Commitment, including social distancing, mask-wearing, and a limit of one helper, if needed.