Weather-Related Delay at the Start of the Procession
If heavy rain or a thunderstorm is present just before the start of the procession at noon, we will delay the start of Commencement for up to 60 minutes. There could also be a delay between the two ceremonies if inclement weather prevents the start of the second procession of the graduate students back to the Kneller Athletic Center.
Thunderstorms During the Commencement Ceremony
If a thunderstorm is approaching during the first, University-wide ceremony, we will pause the ceremony.
- All graduate students, graduate faculty, graduate platform party, and guests of graduate students with wristbands will process to the Kneller Athletic Center
- Graduating seniors, the rest of the faculty and platform party will process to Daniels Theater (students) and the Blue Room (faculty) in Atwood Hall
- All guests of students will be asked to go to one of the indoor rain locations noted below.
After the storm has passed, graduating seniors will return to the tent and the ceremony will resume.
Prolonged Hazardous Weather
If hazardous weather approaches and is expected to last for a significant length of time, President Angel will determine how we will conclude Commencement, and that information will be relayed to all students, staff, and guests. University Police Chief Steve Goulet will monitor the weather throughout the program.
Indoor Rain Locations
For Guests of Graduating Seniors
The University-wide ceremony and the undergraduate diploma-awarding ceremony will be broadcast in the following locations:
- Academic Commons
- University Center Dining Hall
- Jefferson Academic Center 218
- Jefferson Academic Center 320
- Jonas Clark Hall Room 001
- Sackler Science Center rooms 121 and 122
Guests of graduating seniors who have made arrangements for handicapped seating should proceed to the Academic Commons in Goddard Library.
For Guests of Graduate School Students
In addition to the guest seating available in the Kneller Athletic Center for guests with wristbands, the University-wide ceremony and graduate degree-awarding ceremony will be broadcast in the following location:
- Sackler Science Center – room 120
Maps of seating locations will be available at all Information Stations.