Apply Q&A (Transfer)

Find answers to your questions about applying as a transfer student here. If you need more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 800-GO-CLARK or 800-462-5275 or

How do I apply to Clark?

Visit our how to apply page to get started. If you still have questions, feel free to contact us using the information provided above.

Who should apply as a transfer student?

If you're currently enrolled in a degree- or certificate-seeking program, or if you have studied full-time at another college or university, Clark considers you a transfer student, even if you withdrew before receiving grades. You aren't a transfer student if you only enrolled in college courses as part of the completion of your high school diploma.

What are the deadlines for transfer admission?

  • To start in the fall, apply by May 1
  • To start in the spring, apply by November 1

All students are encouraged to apply as soon as the application is complete. Most transfer applicants will receive an admissions decision two to four weeks after an application is completed.

What are the deadlines for financial aid for transfer applicants?

If you're applying for need-based financial aid, you'll need to submit the FAFSA and the CSS Profile to our Financial Aid Office by Nov. 15 for spring admission or May 15 for fall admission

Transfer applicants are encouraged to submit all the necessary paperwork at the time of application to receive potential need-based aid in a timely manner. 

When will I receive my admission decision?

Fall applicants who submit their applications by the deadline can expect decisions no later than June 1. Spring applicants who apply by the deadline can expect a decision by December 1. Applicants who apply in advance of these deadlines can expect to receive an admissions decision two to four weeks after an application is submitted.

Does Clark require transfer applicants to submit SAT or ACT scores?

No, Clark is SAT/ACT test-optional. You can decide if you want to submit these scores. 

Do I need to take the TOEFL if English isn't my first language?

Yes. The minimum score for full admission is 75 ibT with at least a 15 on each subsection. You can also read more on English Proficiency.

Should I visit Clark?

Yes — the best way to find out if Clark is a good match for you is to visit campus and get a sense of the community! We offer a number of visit options, including an opportunity to speak one-on-one with a current Clark student. You can also make an appointment to meet with the Transfer Coordinator, Lexi Alm, while on campus.

If I have a GED, will my application be looked at differently than those who have a high school diploma?

No; the same consideration is given to a diploma from an accredited secondary school or GED equivalency.

What criteria does Admissions use when reviewing candidates for transfer admission?

All candidates are individually reviewed with both academic and personal potential in mind. We consider your college record, academic references, personal statement and co-curricular activities.

Emphasis is placed on your college work (as represented by grades and recommendations), and some of your high school record if you've completed less than one full year of college (equivalent to 8 Clark Units, which is typically 8 courses).

Test scores are considered if you choose to submit them, but they are not required. Typically, transfer students with a college grade point average of 3.0 or higher are successful at Clark University.

What credit system is used at Clark?

Most semester-length courses at Clark have the value of one unit, equivalent to four semester hours (credit hours) of credit. A minimum of 32 units is needed for completion of the Clark bachelor's degree, and students typically take four courses per semester. In accordance with common transfer practices, credit will be awarded on a prorated basis for students transferring into Clark from institutions that operate on a different credit system. Approved courses that carry 3.0 semester credits will receive .75 Clark Unit in transfer. Courses that are on the quarter system will receive .75 Clark Unit for 4.0 or 5.0 quarter credits and 1.0 Clark Unit for 6.0 quarter credits.

What credits will transfer?

You will receive Clark credit for most liberal arts courses taken at regionally accredited colleges or universities, provided you earned a grade of C or better. You'll be provided with a transfer credit evaluation at the time of admission. Outside seminars, internships and remedial or vocational coursework are not transferable. Online courses will be considered for credit if taken through a regionally accredited institution and only with a grade of C or better.

How is class standing determined?

Your class standing will be determined in the following manner:

  • 0-7.99 units = first-year standing
  • 8-15.99 units = sophomore standing
  • 16-23.99 units = junior standing
  • 24 or more units = senior standing

What if I didn't do well in high school, but have improved with my college coursework?

Your overall academic record is considered by Clark's Admissions Committee, and improvements in academic performance from high school to college are taken into consideration. An upward trajectory in academic performance often indicates you learned the skills necessary to succeed at Clark. However, students who earned a GPA of less than 2.5 in high school must complete at least one full year of college courses (equivalent to 8 Clark Units) before being considered for admission.

I have been out of college for several years. Am I an admissible candidate?

Demonstrating the ability to handle college-level work is one of the factors our Admissions Committee will consider when evaluating your application. If you don't have recent college experience, we suggest enrolling in courses at a community college before applying to Clark.

Can I apply for part-time study?

Transfer applications received at the Undergraduate Admissions Office are only considered for full-time enrollment, which is typically four courses (4 Clark Units) per semester. If you want to apply for part-time or night classes, contact Clark's School of Professional Studies (SPS).