References and Links
These are general references. There are also references on the history page that are primarily of historical interest.
- Martin Buerger. An Introduction to the Fundamental Features of Crystals. Wiley, 1956, revised 1963.
- Philip H. Butler. Point group symmetry applications: methods and tables. Plenum Press, New York, 1981.
- H. S. M. Coxeter. Introduction to Geometry. Wiley, New York, 1961. An excellent text on modern geometry. Coxeter makes transformations and groups central concepts. See especially chapter 2 for wallpaper patterns and related topics.
- D. Hilbert and S. Cohn-Vossen. Anschauliche Geometrie. Springer, Berlin, 1932. English translation: Geometry and the Imagination. Chelsea, 1952. See especially chapter 2 of this fascinating book on geometry.
- Arthur S. Nowick. Crystal properties via group theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge-New York, 1995.
- Allen Nussbaum. Applied group theory for chemists, physicists and engineers. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.,1971.
- Doris Schattschneider
The plane symmetry groups: their recognition and notation, Amer. Math. Monthly 85 (1978), 439-450. This is a nice article. This journal should be available at every college library in the United States.
- Hermann Weyl.Symmetry. Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1952. Weyl wrote four relatively nonmathematical lectures on the general subject of symmetry with many examples from art and science.
Up to the table of contents
Back to history
© 1994, 1997.
David E. Joyce
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Worcester, MA 01610
The address of these files are http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/wallpaper/