Undergraduate Admissions

U.S. Transfer Application: Questions and Answers

Find answers to your questions about applying as a transfer student here. If you need more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 800-GO-CLARK (462-5275) or transadmissions@clarku.edu.

Should I apply as a transfer student?
You should apply as a transfer student if you have enrolled in a degree or certificate-seeking program, or if you have studied full-time at another college or university. If this describes your situation, Clark considers you a transfer student, even if you withdrew before receiving grades. You should NOT apply as a transfer student if you only enrolled in college courses as part of the completion of your high school diploma.
What are the deadlines for transfer admission?
The application deadlines for transfer students are:

November 1: spring transfer deadline
May 1: fall transfer deadline
What are the deadlines for financial aid for transfer applicants?
If you are applying for need-based financial aid, you will need to submit the FAFSA and the CSS Profile to our Office of Financial Assistance no later than April 1 for fall admission or November 1 for spring admission.
When will I receive my admission decision?
Fall applicants who submit their applications by the deadline can expect to receive their decisions no later than June 1. Spring applicants who apply by the deadline can expect to receive their decision no later than December 1.
Does Clark require transfer applicants to submit SAT or ACT scores?
No; starting with transfer students applying for the fall of 2013, Clark has adopted a SAT/ACT test-optional policy. It will be up to the applicants to decide if they would like to submit these scores. Additionally, if an applicant has already received their associate's degree, we will not consider standardized test scores as part of his/her application.
What if English is not my first language? Do I need to take the TOEFL?
Yes. If English is not your first language, you must submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum score for full admission is 80 ibT (Internet) or 550 pbT (paper).
Should I visit Clark?
One of the best ways to find out if Clark is a good match for you is to visit campus and get a sense of the Clark community. We offer a number of visit options, including an opportunity to speak one-on-one with a current Clark student. You can also make an appointment to meet with the Transfer Coordinator while on campus.
If I have a G.E.D., will my application be looked at differently than those who have a high school diploma?
No. For admission to Clark, a diploma from an accredited secondary school or G.E.D. equivalency is required. The same consideration is given to both.
What criteria does the Admissions Committee use when reviewing candidates for transfer admission?
Each candidate is individually reviewed with consideration given to both academic and personal potential. We consider the student's college record, academic references, personal statement, and cocurricular activities. Emphasis is placed on the work done in college (as represented by grades and recommendations), and some of the high school record for those cases where the applicant has completed less than one full year (equivalent to 8 Clark units). Test scores are considered if a student chooses to submit them. Typically, transfer students with a college grade point average of 3.0 or higher are successful at Clark University.
What credit system is used at Clark?
Each semester-length course at Clark has the value of one unit, equivalent to four semester hours of credit. A minimum of 32 units is needed for the Clark bachelor's degree, and students typically take four courses per semester. In accordance with Academic Advising practices, credit will be awarded on a prorated basis for students transferring into Clark from institutions that operate on a different credit system.
What classes will transfer?
Most liberal arts courses taken at regionally accredited colleges or universities will receive Clark credit, provided the student earned a grade of C or better. All students are provided with a transfer credit evaluation at the time of admission. Outside seminars, internships, and remedial or vocational coursework are not transferable to Clark's curriculum. Online courses will be considered for credit if taken through regionally accredited institution, and only with a grade of C or better.
How is class standing determined?
Your class standing will be determined in the following manner:
  • 0-7.99 units = first-year standing
  • 8-15.99 units = sophomore standing
  • 16-23.99 units = junior standing
  • 24 or more units = senior standing
What if I did not do well in high school but have now improved in my college coursework?
Your overall academic record is considered by the Admissions Committee when reviewing students for transfer. Therefore, improvements in academic performance from high school to college are taken into consideration. An upward trajectory in academic performance often indicates that a student has learned the skills necessary to succeed at Clark. However, students who earned a GPA of less than 2.5 in high school must have completed at least one full year of college courses (equivalent to 8 Clark units) before being considered for admission.
I have been out of college for several years. Am I an admissible candidate?
Demonstrating the ability to handle college-level work is one of the factors the Admissions Committee will consider when evaluating your application. We strongly suggest that students who do not have recent college experience enroll in several courses at a local community college before applying for admission to Clark.
Can I apply for part-time study?
Transfer applications received at the undergraduate admissions office are only considered for full-time enrollment. In the undergraduate day school, typical full-time enrollment is four courses (four Clark Units). If you would like to apply for part-time or night classes, you should contact the College of Professional and Continuing Education (COPACE).