Web Registration Instructions
The following instructions will help you when registering for your classes online using Web for Students.
- Log in to ClarkYOU
- Access CU Web Registration
- Add/Drop Classes
- Common Errors
- Perform a Class Search
- Printing Your Schedule
- Revising Your Schedule
- Graduate Student Instructions
Login to ClarkYOU
- Launch your web browser and browse to ClarkYOU (http://you.clarku.edu/). IMPORTANT: You must use Internet Explorer as your browser.
- Enter your Clark Account username and password. Click Login
Access CU Web Registration
- Once logged in, select "Main Menu" under the CU Web quicklinks found along the left side of any ClarkYOU page
- Select Registrar's Office, Student Account and Financial Aid
- Select Add/Drop Classes
- Select the term you are registering for and hit Submit
Enter your six-digit advisement PIN number to access the Add/Drop Classes screen.
When registering for the first time, a blank registration form will appear. After that, when adding/dropping classes, you will see your Current Schedule on top and the Add Classes area below. To view Course Offerings, click that link at the BOTTOM of the page.
- In the Add Classes table, enter the CRN number for each course (and lab or discussion section if required).
Use a separate box for each CRN. Click Submit Changes after you have made all your entries.
- In this example two CRNs have been entered
- The first CRN (27598) was successfully registered and you see it listed here in the Current Schedule
section with "Web Registered" and the date in the Status column. The second CRN (27437)
caused a Registration Error. You will see errors listed below the Current Schedule section under
This error, a LINK ERROR, is caused by not registering for the required corresponding lab or discussion for a particular course. Go back to the Add/Drop classes section and enter the CRN for the course again along with the CRN for the required lab or discussion. For information on other errors, see the Common Errors section of these instructions
- Use the Add Classes section of this screen to add other CRNs. Click Submit Changes to register.
- Continue to register until all of the classes you are interested in have been successfully registered
and appear in the Current Schedule section. Remember to look at the Total Credit Hours section
below the Current Schedule to keep track of the current amount of Credit Hours you have scheduled.
Undergraduate students may enroll for a maximum of 4.50 credit hours, graduate student may enroll for a
maximum of 6.000 credit hours.
- To drop classes, view your Current Schedule. Use the drop-down arrow in the Action field next to the class you want to remove from your schedule. Choose Drop Course on Web and then click Submit Changes. When your Current Schedule reappears, the course you dropped should no longer be there.
Classes for which you have NOT been successfully registered will appear under the Registration Errors section as seen in Add/Drop Classes. You must scroll to the right to view the Status column of that table to determine the reason for the error.
Some of the most common errors are listed here:
|STATUS MESSAGE||ACTION REQUIRED|
|Closed Section||Course capacity has been reached. Select another class.|
|Reserve Closed||Seats reserved for incoming students. Select another class.|
|Linked Course Required||Course requires a lab and/or discussion. Check the course offerings for the required section and add the class again with the required lab/discussion CRN.|
|Prerequisite and Test Score Error||One or more prerequisites, corequisites, or placement level information are not in the database. Select another class.|
|Instructor Signature||Obtain instructor's permission or select another class.|
|Time Conflict with CRN||Conflict in scheduling. Select another class.|
|Class Restriction||Enrollment based on class year (e.g., JR/SR only). Select another class.|
|Invalid Level for Course||Restricted to either undergraduate or graduate students only. Select another class.|
|Duplicate CRN||CRN has been entered twice.|
|CRN Does Not Exist||Incorrect CRN. Check course offerings to verify CRN and re-enter.|
|Maximum Hours Exceeded||Undergraduates maximum of 4.50 units; graduate students maximum of 6.000 units. You must drop a course first before adding another to your schedule.|
Perform a Class Search
You may search the schedule to determine class availability and register for a class directly from the results window.
- Below the Add Classes section, click the Class Search Button.
In the Class Search dialog box, enter the chosen parameters for your search. For example, you could search
for all Art History classes that meet on M/W/F.
Please note: you must select a subject; other criteria are optional. Click Class Search at the bottom of the dialog box when ready to search.
- In the results window you will see the classes available for registration.
- The checkbox in the "Select" column indicates that you may register for the class.
- To register for a class, click the box to select the class, then click the Register button at the bottom of the table. Click Class Search to begin a new search.
Printing Your Schedule
When you have successfully registered for all of your classes and lab/discussion sections, you may print your schedule.
- On the Add/Drop Classes page, use the Student Schedule by Day and Time link at the bottom
of the page to view your detailed schedule.
- Your courses will appear in a grid format. Follow the instructions on the screen to see next semester's
course schedule. Within the grid, click on course subject and number to view particular course details
- Then go to File > Print. It is also a good idea to do a Print Preview before printing. You may need to change the page orientation to "Landscape" (in the Print Dialog box).
Revising Your Schedule
To make changes to your schedule online after you have already registered, go to the Add/Drop Classes section. If you have already registered for your maximum number of units, you must drop a course before you can add another to your schedule. Make sure to click on Submit Changes to process. Check the Current Schedule section to be sure your changes were successfully processed. All class restrictions, enrollment cap, etc., are in effect during schedule revision.
Graduate Student Instructions
Much of the online registration process is the same as for undergraduate students (as explained previously), but there are a few special distinctions you should be aware of.
- Graduate students will register for 300-level courses ONLY.
Students must be registered for a minimum of three units to be considered full-time. Graduate students may enroll for a maximum of 6.000 credit hours.
- Directed Study
A directed study course appears for each individual instructor in their home department. (If doing a Class Search on the web, be sure to scroll to the right to see the instructor's name). Though the instructor's signature is not required, it is assumed that students and faculty have agreed beforehand to work together. Students will be removed from a directed study course at the instructor's request if no prior arrangements have been made.
- Variable Credit
Courses that appear on the schedule with "Var" in the Units column are offered for variable credit (e.g., Directed Study courses are 1.000 to 3.000 units). A default unit (generally 1.000) will automatically appear in the credit hours field after you have registered for the course. If the default unit is incorrect, follow the directions below to change it.
If you have questions about the number of units assigned to a variable credit course or are unsure of how many units to register for, please contact your department.
- After you have registered for a Variable Credit course the "default" credit will appear in the Credit
Hours field. See the image below. If this is incorrect, click the Change Class Options link at the bottom
of the page.
- The Change Course Options dialog box appears. The default Credit Hours appears in the Credit Hours box.
To change the number of units, click in the Credit Hours box and enter the appropriate number of units.
Click Submit Changes.
After the screen refreshes, click Add/Drop Classes to return to the Add/Drop Classes page.
- Confirm the correct number of units by viewing the Current Schedule section and the Total Credit Hours
on the Add/Drop Classes page.
- After you have registered for a Variable Credit course the "default" credit will appear in the Credit Hours field. See the image below. If this is incorrect, click the Change Class Options link at the bottom of the page.