Hardware for Personal Purchase
Clark University recommends that students own laptop computers, but with so many computer manufacturers in the marketplace, it can be both confusing and frustrating to make a purchase.
To aide you, ITS has partnered with a few computer manufacturers to offer discounts on their computer offerings. If you would like advice before making your final choice (whether it be these systems or any other), please don't hesitate to contact the ITS Help Desk (508-793-7745). Our staff would be happy to help you.
Clark ITS's preferred Windows computer vendor online store:
Additional computer vendor online stores
Comparison of Clark ITS's preferred Windows computers with similar Apple and Lenovo computers
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can order these computers?
- Systems featured on these pages may be ordered by members of the Clark University
- Students: undergraduate and graduate students (including incoming students and recent graduates);
- Faculty: including full- and part-time, as well as adjuncts and emeritus faculty members;
- Staff: including full and part-time employees;
- Persons affiliated with the Graduate School of Management (GSOM) and the College of Professional and Continuing Education (COPACE).
At the time of your order you may be asked for verification of your affiliation with Clark.
- Why buy one of these laptops and not a system from my local computer store?
- The computers in our desktop and laptop comparisons have been validated to work within Clark's computing environment. They build on University initiatives, such as wireless network connectivity and laptop initiatives in the curriculum. In addition, Information Technology Services staff is able to offer you a higher level of service with these models as we have established a rapport with the manufacturers.
Clark believes that you should have a three-year warranty on your laptop computer and recommends the additional option of accidental damage protection (covering damage from spills, drops, power surges, etc). Most computers sold at retail stores come with only 1 year warranties.
- Why laptops and why wireless?
- Laptop computers best suit the life of the typical Clark student. Their portability allows
you to bring your work with you to class, the library, or your study groups. Laptop computers
are easy to secure in your residence hall and take up much less space in your residence hall
room. When moving back and forth to campus over the years, they present much less of a
Clark has undertaken wireless networking projects on campus which are aimed at making network/Internet connectivity available. Clark's wireless networking initiatives and projects greatly facilitate access to the campus network and the Internet. View maps of Clark's wireless coverage.
- What about software?
- We have not asked HP or Lenovo to to include Microsoft Office Professional in their
configurations because the university licensing arrangements allow us to provide it to you for
less than the manufacturers' best academic pricing. We encourage students to purchase Microsoft
Office through the online Academic Software Center- see the software
discounts for students page.
Clark University also includes students in our campus license for antivirus software. If you are bringing your computer to campus, it is best to install our free antivirus software prior to your arrival. Or if you need help, we are more than happy to assist you. Contact the ITS Help Desk to make this arrangement at 508-793-7745 or email us at Help Desk
- What about security?
- ITS gets many questions about laptop security from folks concerned about the possibility of theft. There have not been widespread laptop thefts on our campus. In the case of the few systems that have been stolen, they were not secured and had been left unattended. ITS has made security cables available as an option with any recommended laptop configurations and strongly encourages the use of them.