Housing Complex Managers
Apply now for the 2015-2016 Academic Year
Housing Complex Manager
Clark University Office of Residential Life & Housing
The Housing Complex Manager role is a paraprofessional position for seasoned Resident Advisers who are interested in taking on more responsibility within the Residential Life and Housing Office, possibly to pursue a career in Higher Education administration, or to gain valuable skills for any career path. Housing Complex Managers report to the Area Coordinator for Upper Class and Graduate Communities. The Housing Complex Manager position begins on August 1, 2015, and continues through May 20, 2016.
There are three primary responsibilities of the Housing Complex Managers.
- To serve as the complex manager for one of three areas of the RLH Houses
- South Complex: 13 Beaver, 1&3 Maywood Place, 21&23 Maywood Street.
- North Complex: 70 Florence, 2 Downing, 112&114 Woodland Street.
- Main Street Complex: 906, 914, 926, 930, & 934 Main Street.
- To serve alongside professional staff as a secondary duty coverage level on Weekend (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) evenings.
- To work on two collateral assignments- one within the department and one outside of RLH. The assignment within RLH will work with a professional staff member and may be related to RA Training, RA Selection, Judicial Affairs work, RHA Advising, etc. These assignments will be based on the needs of RLH. The outside of department collateral assignment will need the approval of the department.
Specific requirements of the position include but are not limited to:
- Weekend duty rotation will include visiting all RLH Halls with the Professional Staff member on call at least once per evening of duty. Professional staff and Housing Complex Manager teams will be the first responders for an expanded number of violations on weekend nights, freeing up University Police to focus on major infractions. These rounds will be made easier with the addition of a Street legal golf cart.
- Meet with the residents of each apartment at least twice per semester to verify the condition of apartment units and to ensure all maintenance concerns are being addressed.
- Respond to online inquiries or concerns submitted by residents.
- Hold 3 Office Hours per week (spread over at least 2 days) in the Office of Residential Life and Housing to meet with residents as necessary.
- Distribute posting materials weekly while visiting each house.
- Provide 1 social program per month
- Attend a monthly staff meeting
- Must be a Senior or 5th year student with at least 1 year (preferably 2) RA experience at Clark or a Graduate Students new to Clark with at least 2 years comparable RA experience at another undergraduate institution.
- Should have and maintain a 3.0 or better GPA. Candidates below a 3.0GPA but above a 2.5GPA may apply but will need to be able to clearly demonstrate strong academic prowess and the ability to balance this significant responsibility with your academic endeavors to be considered. Candidates below a 2.5GPA are ineligible and will not be considered for the position.
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Strong policy enforcement/conflict management skills
- Strong commitment to the position and to RLH.
-Housing Complex Managers may not hold other positions unless they are directly related to their academic curriculum. Due to the increased expectations placed on the students who hold this position, all external commitments (internships, clubs, organizations, etc.) must first be discussed with and approved by Residential Life and Housing Professional Staff.
- Housing Complex Managers must report back to Clark University on August 1, 2015 for Housing Complex Managers training.
- Housing Complex Managers will assist professional staff members in facilitating RA Training, including presenting sessions to RAs and assisting with office and training schedule coverage.
- Each Housing Complex Manager will be provided with their own Special Triple apartment in Dodd, Johnson, or Hughes Hall. The location of these apartments is not tied to the area of supervision.
- Each Housing Complex Manager will receive a $2,500 stipend per year ($1,250 per semester)*.
- Housing Complex Managers will develop and refine many marketable skills frequently sought by employers: organizational and time management skills, communication skills, decision‐making skills, leadership skills, conflict management skills, crisis intervention skills, etc.
* As is the case with RA positions, please be aware that this compensation is considered a financial resource and financial aid candidates selected as Housing Complex Managers will have an adjustment made in the self‐help category of their aid packet. It is strongly recommended that you make an appointment with your financial aid counselor to discuss how this position would affect your financial aid package.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and one written employment recommendation (may not be written by a current RLH staff member) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail (Clark RLH Office, 950 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01610) by December 1, 2014. Selected candidates will be invited to interview with RLH Professional Staff members.
Current HCM Information
Clark Houses offer Undergraduate and Graduate students the opportunity to live with independence while still enjoying many of the convenient services offered to students living in the residence halls. These amenities include individual liability contacts (if a roommate moves out you are not stuck covering their portion of the rent), routine maintenance and cleaning, all-inclusive pricing (heat, electric, cold and hot water, sewer, local phone, cable TV, and wired and wireless internet are all provided by the University as part of the room charge), included laundry, and contract flexibility (you can move to another on-campus room without penalty).
While offering these conveniences, Clark RLH also feels strongly that living in the Clark Houses should reflect in some capacity the off-campus housing experience that most students will experience either during or after their Clark career. As such, Clark Houses are supervised using a property management style approach. Each house is assigned to one of three Housing Complex Managers (HCM). HCMs are seniors or 5th year graduate students with at least two years of Resident Adviser experience. HCMs assist the Clark Houses residents with room condition tracking and inspection, maintenance concerns, information dissemination, opening and closing procedures, and providing opportunity for students to interact socially.
Housing Complex Managers supervise on of the following house complexes:
- South Complex - 1 & 3 Maywood Place, 13 Beaver Street, 21 & 23 Maywood Street.
- North Compex - 2 Downing Street, 70 Florence Street, 112 & 114 Woodland Street.
- Main Complex - 906, 914, 926, 930, and 934 Main Street.
"Gina on Gina": I am currently a graduate student studying Environmental Science and Policy at Clark. I graduated from Clark last year with a Bachelors in Environmental Science and Policy. I studied abroad in Perth, Australia for a semester and loved living so close to the beach. I grew up near Seattle, Washington. I was on the Clark Woman's rowing team for a year and a half during undergrad as well a member Clark University Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am very artistic and love to have time to create art in different mediums. I also enjoying cooking and baking and trying new recipes.
I was a resident advisor at Clark for 2 and a half years, working in Wright Hall and Dodd Hall. I really enjoyed getting to know my residents as well as the other RAs I have worked with during my time working for RLH. My experience as an RA helped prepare me for the HCM position by teaching organization and time management skills as well as learning how to handle a variety of personal and sensitive situations. I am looking forward to working with residents at the 1 and 3 Maywood Place, 21 and 23 Maywood Street, and 13 Beaver Street housing this year.
Please feel free to contact me with any issues, concerns or questions at email@example.com.
Gina's Fall 2014 Office Hours
(HCM Office is located in the RLH Office at 151 Woodland Street)
- Monday 10:00AM – 1:00PM
- Thursday 11:00AM – 2:00PM
"Brenna on Brenna": Hello! I am a graduate student here at Clark! I am currently enrolled in the Community Development and Planning 5th year program in the IDCE department. I drink tea regularly and walk around Worcester often.
As an undergrad I studied Political Science (American subfield) with an Urban Development & Social Change concentration. I worked as an RA in both upperclassmen and first-year halls for the past three years, and I have been in leadership positions within Clark’s Residence Hall Association (RHA) for all four year. Please do not hesitate to get in touch - to say hello or ask any questions! I am readily available through email or during office hours!
Please feel free to contact me with any issues, concerns, or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brenna’s Fall 2014 Office Hours
(HCM Office is located in the RLH Office at 151 Woodland Street):
- Tuesday 9:00AM - 12:00PM
- Wednesday 9:00AM - 12:00PM
"Jai on Jai": Hello! I am a graduate student at Clark University, pursuing the Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree. My undergraduate degrees were in Business Administration (Management) and Psychology. I have been a Resident Adviser in Sanford Hall as well as Blackstone Hall in previous year, and now as the Housing Complex Manager of the graduate houses, overseeing 906, 914, 926, 930 and 934 Main Street.
My country of birth and citizenship is South Korea but I grew up and still have family in Indonesia, which I call home. My hobbies are reading, playing sports, movies and am always trying to find new ones. While at Clark I participated in intramural sports teams, club sports teams, have been involved with International Students Association, Asian Cultural Society, Clark Investments and Trading Society, Clark Model UN, Sustainability Hub with National Grid and of course, with Residential Life and Housing.
Please feel free to contact me with any issues, concerns, or questions at email@example.com.
Jai's Fall 2014 Office Hours
(HCM Office is located in the RLH Office at 151 Woodland Street):
- Tuesday 1:00PM - 4:00PM
- Wednesday 1:00PM - 4:00PM