2014-2015 Winter Break Info
If you require housing during the winter break, you may apply to stay in housing for the winter break. Most Residence Halls and Houses close for the winter break on Wednesday, December 17th at 12:00 noon. Students who are unable to leave campus by this time because of flight scheduling or travel delays may request to stay up to 72 hours late for a per cost as outlined in the Housing Contract for details). Extension requests may be submitted online by clicking Here. Students who need to stay more than 72 hours late or return more than 72 hours early must apply for winter break housing, which covers students for the entire break period. Halls reopen at 9:00AM on Sunday, January 11, 2015.
Winter Housing costs $350 for all room types. Students needing to stay in housing for the winter break must apply for Winter Break Housing online by clicking Here. All applications must be submitted by Wednesday, December 10, 2014. Applications received later will be subject to a $50 late fee, and may be denied. Students who request Winter Break Housing but will NOT be living in housing for the Spring Seemster must be completely moved out of their Winter Break Housing assignment by January 6th at 12:00 noon so that their rooms may be prepared for incoming residents.
Apartment Lifestyle Residents and Graduate Students in 906, 914, 926, 930, and 934 Main Street who will remain in these areas for the Spring, can stay in their rooms during Winter Break for free if requested by December 10, 2014.
- Apply for Winter Break Housing online by clicking Here.
Please Note: Students who fail to depart the residence halls by 12:00 noon on December 17th, and who are not approved to stay for winter break or have been granted a contract extension in advance, will be charged $75.00. The residence halls and houses re-open at 9:00AM on Sunday, January 11, 2015.
WHAT MUST I DO BEFORE DEPARTING FOR WINTER BREAK?
Students who are remaining in the same room for the Spring 2015 Semester may leave their belongings in the room over the break. Prior to departing for the Winter Break, all residents with known or anticipated vacancies in their room must have a Resident Adviser sign off that the room is ready for a new student to move into (see Occupancy And Vacancy Guidelines Section of the Housing Contract for details). Any resident who does not have their room signed off will be automatically billed for a Vacancy Buy-Out. If you will or currently have a vacancy in your room and do not intend to buy-out the vacancy for the spring, you must prepare your room for a new roommate. Students who are moving out for any reason must check out completely with their RA and return their key to RLH before they depart. Students in this situation will get specific information sent to them. All students must:
- Move belongings/furnishings away from radiator/heat.
- Make sure all radiator valves are fully open.
- Close and lock all windows. This saves energy by sealing widows against drafts, and therefore should be done on every floor. Contact RLH or Physical Plant if you can't get your window locked.
- Pull all window shades and/or close all curtains.
- Remove all perishable food.
- Please take home your Fish (if applicable).
- Remove all trash from room.
- Disconnect ALL plugs from wall sockets. Remove all perishable food and defrost your personal refrigerator. Refrigerators must be defrosted and doors should be left open to prevent mold. (Clark provided refrigerators in apartments can be left running). Rooms or suites with a refrigerator left powered will be charged a $25 energy fee.
- Consider taking all valuables (i.e. stereo, computer, television, and jewelry) home with you.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock all doors.
- Be sure your room does not have any prohibited items in it (i.e. halogen lamps, lava lamps, candles, toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates - see Synergy for details). Please note that when the RLH staff inspects rooms for Winter Break if these items are found they will be removed from your room.
Please note that the RLH Staff will inspect your room as part of the closing process after you depart for Winter Break.