Campus Safety and Security
- What is Clark ALERTS?
- Clark ALERTS is Clark University’s emergency notification system, which uses a variety of methods to contact students, faculty, and staff, including:
- Text messages (SMS) to mobile devices
- Voice calls to mobile phones and off-campus phone numbers
- E-mails to Clark and non-Clark addresses
- How does Clark ALERTS work?
- During an urgent emergency situation, the Clark ALERTS system will send you a message with information and/or instructions concerning the emergency situation. This automated system will send you the message
to your defined points of contact to deliver the alert.
- How do I update my Clark ALERTS contact information?
- Your contact information is maintained in the
ClarkYOU portal. Look for the Clark ALERTS
Updater channel (which may be located in the Resources tab), which will display your current contact information. To
make changes or additions, click the "Update" button, add or edit the
appropriate contact information and click the "Update" button again. You
should then see a Successfully Updated message in red at the top of the screen.
- Can I provide an international cell phone number?
- No. International phone numbers are not supported, even for mobile phones and text messages.
- Can I provide my office phone number?
- No. Since the Clark ALERTS emergency notification system is located off campus, the University's switchboard would be jammed if emergency notification phone calls were made to Clark phone extensions.
- What if I don't wish to receive text messages on my cell/mobile phone?
- While we encourage all cell phone users to enter their phone number in in the "Cell Phone" field so they can receive both text and voice messages, if you only wish to receive voice messages on your cell phone, enter your phone number in the "Voice Only Phone" field.
- Under what circumstances will the University use Clark ALERTS?
Clark ALERTS may be activated under circumstances such as:
- Fire alarms, natural gas leaks and hazardous spills affecting the entire campus
- Building evacuations and lock downs affecting the entire campus (such as a shooter on campus)
- Biological or pandemic emergencies
- Natural disasters or unexpexted severe weather conditions
- Bomb threats or other imminent violent threats
- Power outages and utility failures resulting in an imminent threat
- Campus closure due to declared civil emergency
- You can optionally choose to receive messages in the event of any disruptions to the Safety Escort program.
- What should I do if I receive an emergency call or e-mail from Clark ALERTS?
- If you receive an emergency message from Clark ALERTS, do the following:
- 1. Listen to or read the ENTIRE message. The message is of a serious nature.
- 2. Follow any instructions given in the message.
- Will Clark University always use all methods of contact for the Clark ALERTS Emergency Notification Service?
- Yes. We will always use all the contact methods you specify.
- How will I know the message is from Clark ALERTS?
- The message sender will appear as follows:
- For a phone call:
- For an e-mail: Clark_ALERTS@clarku.edu
- Is there a charge for receiving messages via Clark ALERTS?
- No. Clark University does not charge for use of this system. However, depending on your agreement with your mobile phone provider for text messages or mobile phone calls, you may incur charges. Please check with your provider to understand your charges.
- Who sends Clark ALERTS messages?
- Messages will be sent by authorized University personnel only, such as University Communications and University Police.
- Can my parents or other family members also sign up so they’ll know what’s going on?
- Registration for the Clark ALERTS emergency notification service is only
available to currently active students, faculty and staff. Clark
ALERTS messages are intended to inform individuals located on campus when
immediate action is necessary. We may, however, use Clark ALERTS to to provide updates to parents or other family members in the event of an emergency situation. For example, in the event of a major storm we might use Clark Alerts to send a message to the Parent/Family contact in advance of the storm to let them know about preparations being made and/or after the storm to update them on the storm's impact on the campus. The"Parent/Family Cell Phone" or "Parent/Family Voice Only" fields are available to you for this purpose. Please note that Parent/Family contacts will not generally receive Clark ALERTS message that are sent while an emergency is taking place. If you provide additional contact information, we strongly suggest you notify that person that they are a contact for you in Clark ALERTS.
- Clark ALERTS is intended to communicate urgent information to students, faculty, and staff during an emergency. For that reason, it is very important that you carefully consider your points of contact.