Office of Financial Assistance

Financial Aid and Financial Assistance

Questions and Answers

For questions not answered here, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at (508) 793-7478 or

I've received Federal Work Study (FWS) as part of my award. Am I assigned a job or do I apply for one?
Students are not assigned jobs. It is your responsibility to research, apply for, and follow up regarding jobs that interest you.
How do I find a job?
The first step to finding a job is to read the jobs available on the Job Directory. On the job directory, there are two sections labeled "Undergraduate Work Study" and "Non-Work Study."  Students who have not been awarded federal work study funds may still work on campus, in any job listed under the "Non-Work Study” section.  As we are notified of open positions we will update the job directory, so check regularly for new listings. If there are no jobs listed, our office has not been notified of any open positions.
Application is made directly to the supervisor listed on the Job Directory. Job descriptions will provide information concerning duties, performance expectations, and skills necessary for each position listed. You apply for positions that interest you and fit your class schedule. If you are having difficulty finding employment on campus please contact our office for guidance.
If I was not awarded federal work study, can I still work on campus?
Yes! Students not awarded FWS may apply for any jobs on the job directory that are listed under the "Non-Work Study" section.  For a list of available jobs, visit the Job Directory. As we are notified of open positions we will update the job directory, so check regularly for new listings. If there are no jobs listed, our office has not been notified of any open positions.
What paperwork is due before I can begin working?
Students who have not previously worked on campus need to complete the following items:
  • An I-9 form (This form requires specific types of identification, see details below.)
  • A W-4 form
  • An M-4 Form
  • A direct deposit form
  • A work authorization form - This form will be emailed to students who are eligible to receive funds under the Federal Work Study Program. 
If you were awarded FWS, you should receive a work study packet via your Clark email.  This will be received before arriving to campus.  If you do not receive this email by the end of the first week of classes or if you were not awarded federal work study, these forms are available online and in the Office of Financial Assistance. When you receive your work study packet via email, you should review the work study allotment to make certain that it matches the awarded amount from your financial aid award letter. If there are any discrepancies, contact our office immediately.
Students who have previously worked on campus must complete the following item:
• A Work Authorization Form - This form is emailed to students who are receiving FWS.  If you do not have FWS, but will be working in a Non-Work Study position you can print the form here.
All students who choose to be exempt from federal and/or state taxes will need to complete new W-4 and M-4 forms annually.
No student can be paid until all forms are complete and correct.
What forms of identification do I need for the I-9 form?
The United States Department of Homeland Security requires that all employees, both citizens and non-citizens, complete the I-9 form at the time of hire. This form confirms your identity and your eligibility to work in the U.S.. The students should complete Section 1 of this form and bring it to the Office of Financial Assistance with either one document from List A or two documents from List B.

List A

  • U.S. Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt
  • Employment Authorization document that contains and photograph (Form I-766)
  • Foreign Passport with form I-94
  • Passport from the FSM or RMI with I-94


List B

One from this list:

  • Driver’s License
  • Photo ID issued by government agency
  • University Photo Student ID
  • Voter’s Registration Card
  • U.S. Military Card or Draft Record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card


One from this list:

  • U.S. Social Security Card
  • Original or Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
  • Certification of birth abroad
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID card
How much will I be paid at my on-campus job?
Your rate of pay is determined by your supervisor. NOTE:  All Undergraduate federal work study and non-work study student employees are paid at the Massachusetts minimum wage rate, currently set at $9.00/hr.   Your hiring supervisor will discuss with you and determine your hourly rate when you are hired.
How do I report the hours I worked in order to be paid?
1. All students must turn in and sign a completed and signed work authorization form. A student who has not previously worked on campus must complete an I-9, appropriate tax forms, and a Direct Deposit Form. If you are a returning student employee a new Direct Deposit Form is not necessary unless your banking information has changed and/or how you want your funds distributed changes.
2. Once the student has completed all necessary paperwork and has been established on the payroll system, both supervisor/ approver will be able to begin the Web Time Entry Process. Your approver will provide you will the necessary training to use WTE.
3.Students are required to complete their electronic timesheet for each bi-weekly pay period and submit it for approval. The approver will approve the hours worked and submit the approved timesheet electronically to the Payroll Office for processing. Students should submit their electronic timesheet to their approver no later than Monday at 10:00 am to give the approver the necessary time to review with hours worked by the student, approve the timesheet and submit it to payroll for processing. Approvers must have timesheets approved and submitted no later than Monday at noontime.
4. All timesheets submitted must be approved by either the student's approver, or the person who has been designated as a proxy for that approver. There is no option for a manual time sheet to be submitted by either the student or the approver.
When are timesheets due?
Below is a chart indicating the pay period in the first column, the date your timesheet is due in the second column, and the date your paycheck will be issued in the third column.

  Payroll Schedule for Academic Year 2015-2016


From – To
































































* Please submit timesheets for approval before leaving for winter break
Your electronic timesheets must be submitted to approvers by 10:00am on scheduled dates and approvers must submit approved timesheets to payroll by noon on those dates. Late timesheets will not be paid until the following payroll.

Last work day for seniors is May 2, 2016. All other undergraduates can work through commencement, May 22, 2016.

Can I have my paycheck deposited directly into my bank account?
Direct Deposit is a condition of employment for all student employees. The direct deposit form must be completed and returned to the Office of Financial Assistance. You must submit a completed Direct Deposit Form before you can be set up in the payroll system. If the student has already had direct deposit at Clark, there is no need to complete another form unless there is a change in bank, account number, deposit amounts, etc.
If I’ve worked on campus previously, do I need to submit a new direct deposit form every year?
No. If you have already had direct deposit, there is no need to complete another form unless there is a change in bank, account number, deposited amounts, etc. Please note that the direct deposit changes do not begin immediately; allow one pay cycle for processing.
Is there a limit to how much I can work?
While classes are in session, students may work up to a maximum of twenty hours per week. During vacation periods of one week or more, students may be allowed to work additional hours. It is the responsibility of the student to keep track of earnings, as students will not be paid from work-study funds for hours exceeding their allotment. The maximum earnings a student may have per academic year is listed on the financial aid award letter, the Work Authorization Form, and your timesheet.
If I don’t use my FWS during the school year, can I use it over the summer or during the next school year?
Work study awards are to be used only for the time period indicated on the award letter and Work Authorization. Awards cannot be transferred to other time periods, to other students, or carried over to summer or the next academic year.
What happens if I use my FWS funds before the school year is over?
Once the authorized amount has been earned, the student must stop working.
Can I get FWS over the summer?
Currently, there is no FWS for summer.
Do I have to have a Social Security Number to work?
Yes, all working students (domestic and international) must have a valid Social Security number. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must apply for one with the Social Security Administration.
Do I get a W-2 form at the end of the year from Clark?
For tax purposes, Clark University provides each student with a W-2 form listing all taxable earnings paid to the student. The form is available online under the employment tab of your CU Web account by the end of January and it will reflect the student’s earnings for the preceding year.
Do I have to pay taxes on my FWS earnings?
Work study earnings are subject to all federal and state taxes. In addition to federal and state taxes, any wages earned from work performed when classes are not in session (including summer) are subject to the Social Security tax deduction.
Can I be exempt from federal and state taxes?
Some students are eligible for an exemption from taxes. For details, please visit the Office of Financial Assistance.
Can I be fired from my work study job?
Yes. Just like any other job, you are expected to perform your work study job duties to the best of your ability.
If a problem arises, your supervisor should attempt to resolve the issue by speaking with you. If the problem continues, your supervisor should warn you in writing at least once. If the problem persists, your supervisor should provide advance notice of termination and the reason(s) to you in writing, with a copy to the Office of Financial Assistance.
Reasons for termination could be, but are not limited to: violation of confidentiality, dishonesty (including falsifying timesheets), poor work performance, habitual tardiness or absences. If you are terminated from a work study position, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to work another work study job for the remainder of the academic year.
What are my responsibilities as a student employee?
  • You must have a valid Social Security number.
  • Before you begin working, you should be certain all necessary paperwork has been completed and returned to the Office of Financial Assistance. This paperwork includes the Work Authorization form, a W-4 form, an I-9 form, a MA Tax Exemption Form, and a Direct Deposit Form.
  • You should report to work on time. If you are going to be late or absent, you should always notify your supervisor in advance.
  • Timesheets should be submitted to your supervisor on time. Late timesheets will be paid in the following pay period.
  • You should not engage in reading, homework, or other personal business or phone calls during hours of employment.
  • Each department may have its own specific dress code. Make certain to check with your supervisor regarding his/her expectations.
  • You are responsible for ensuring that your earnings do not exceed your work-study award limit.
I’m an undergraduate international student. Can I work on campus?
Undergraduate international students may be eligible to utilize the Student Employment Website and referral service. However, since there may be certain restrictions regarding employment in the United States, international students must first speak to the Office of International Students and Scholars at 508-793-7362 to determine if they are eligible to work.
I’d like to work in the community. Can I use my FWS award?
In order to create a culture of service, improve the quality of life for community residents, and create a community that addresses its needs together while providing work-learning experiences for students, we are pleased to offer a limited number of community service work-study positions for interested students. Clark University, through the University Park Partnership, has made a strong commitment to involvement in its local community, and in doing so, has created a number of exciting and interesting work-study positions for students.
Community service positions are listed in the Job Directory under the Community Service heading. The application process for community service jobs are made in the same way as all other work-study positions.
How will participating in a Study Abroad Program affect my work study?
Students cannot use their Federal Work Study Funds while studying abroad. If you were awarded federal work study and have decided to spend the semester abroad, you forfeit the work study award.