About Clark

Jonas Clark Hall

Historical Timeline

By decade
1880 | 1890 | 1900 | 1910 |1920 | 1930 | 1940 | 1950 | 1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000 | 2010

 

1950 - 1959

1952

A chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa national honor society is established at Clark. The first class of students are inducted the following year.

1953

The Evening College of Clark University, now the College of Professional and Continuing Education, is established.

1957

Professor Heinz Werner establishes the Institute for Human Development at Clark. It is renamed the Heinz Werner Institute for Developmental Psychology upon Werner's death in 1964.

The Jeppson Laboratory opens.

1959

The women's dormitory (later renamed Bullock Hall) and the men's dormitory (later renamed Wright Hall) open.

Jefferson Hall, located where the Higgins University Center now stands, opens with a mail room, bookstore and dining facilities.

Fun Facts

1950

A Student Union, complete with a soda fountain donated by alumni, is created in professor Hudson Hoagland's barn on Downing Street.